B16a cranks won't start!

4thgenman

5+ Year Member
Hello All,

Here is my situation, just got back from Iraq and found out my family put my sleeper into the shop because it wouldn't start anymore. My setup is:

91 civic dx 4dr
jdm b16a
ecu type pwo
b16a tranny
speedy headers
racing cat
CAI

I did the entire swap myself 1 year ago without any problems. I'm very pissed the car was moved and later worked on by a total stranger Mad

Now this is what i'm dealing with, The shop replaced the dizzy and the car ran like crap up until now it won't start. When I drove it since being back it would miss and sputter as it like starving for fuel or maybe bad plugs. I replaced all the plugs, wires and no change. After doing a search on the net I followed all the troubleshooting steps. ECU doesn't throw any codes,
I am getting spark, and gas is being pumped to the fuel rail.

I'm almost sure this is a timing issue now. After aligning the timing marks on the crank pulley "Solo tick mark" with pointer on timing cover. I also made sure the cams where positioned with the word "UP" facing up however, It appears I might be off by two teeth? I've provided a pic if someone could let me know what you think? Notice how the exhaust cam on the left looks correct but the intake cam is canted off abit. I have added some white lines next to the areas i'm talking about. Am I on the right track? If so, i'm wondering why this honda repair shop didn't notice this?

http://darkgarrison.org/myhonda4thgen/cams-1.jpg

1kreationz

5+ Year Member
dude your cams are totally off.....you got to align the points saying UP and make sure the LINES match together with the mark on the timing cover, and make sure your crank pulley is on TDC = top dead center. if you dont know where the mark is at on the crank pulley turning the pulley with a 19m rachet turn counterclock wise, TDC is the white mark line by it self none of the 3 lines being next to one another...........or stick a skinny rachet extender on piston 1, (take out spark plug)...turning the crack counter clock wise, the rachet extender should move up and u should see it slightly slightly drop and see if the tdc mark on the crank is on mark. then slap that belt on and tighten up that tensioner bolt. and fire it up...thats if it fires up..!

Wait4it

5+ Year Member
like the guy above says, way off. If it may take a couple trys to get it right on. If it appears to be a bit off, it probably is. as for the honda shop, they probably didn't check. why? i have no idea. Im surpised you weren't getting any codes. Did the mechanic remove the belt?

4thgenman

5+ Year Member
b16a won't start

I don't know what the mechanic did to my car, but it was all screwed up. I pulled off the belt and reset the cam timing and amazingly the car started. Dunno why the cam marks so way off because the timing belt looks brand new. Never again though will my car fall prey to a shady import car mechanic!

like the guy above says, way off. If it may take a couple trys to get it right on. If it appears to be a bit off, it probably is. as for the honda shop, they probably didn't check. why? i have no idea. Im surpised you weren't getting any codes. Did the mechanic remove the belt?

1kreationz

5+ Year Member
I don't know what the mechanic did to my car, but it was all screwed up. I pulled off the belt and reset the cam timing and amazingly the car started. Dunno why the cam marks so way off because the timing belt looks brand new. Never again though will my car fall prey to a shady import car mechanic!

Thumbs up..!