B16A2 harness with B18C ECU/engine questions

A]]Th!ngSound

Aspiring to Boost
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Well, it finally happened for me. I was able to land a beautiful B18 GSR swap from hmotors. I got the engine in after changing water pump, tensioner, timing belt, head gasket, ARP head studs, clutch kit, wires, plugs, rotor and hasport mounts. Now I'm getting pretty close to being able to start it up and see how it goes, but I'm having a couple of issues. To clarify:

98 Civic coupe DX (D16Y7) (OBD2)
swapped with 97 JDM B18C GSR (OBD2)
P72 MT ECU that came with the swap (OBD2)

My wiring harness would require some modification and the harness that came with the engine is RHD so no-go.
A buddy of mine had a B16A (OBD2) harness from a 96 hatch that he could spare, so I'm using that one instead.
I've searched for this particular type of setup but haven't found any threads that line up quite the same for me to have enough peace of mind on it.

My friend who's done quite a few swaps before feels uneasy about the harness because we have a couple of extra plugs on the tranny side and I feel uneasy about it because I see mixed information on whether or not I need to rewire the dizzy connectors, vtec pressure or injectors. The harness is wired for vtec already, but I saw that JDM vtec solenoids are different from USDM and have 1 less connector or something.

As a side note, a couple of things almost every walk-through fails to mention on the must-have list for this swap are:

longer fuel return line
USDM thermostat
longer soft fuel line from fuel filter to rail
lower tranny/timing torsion mounts in the event the spike can't be removed from your previous mounts

If anyone has thread-specific information on these issues, I'd much appreciate your time and help. =)

A]]Th!ngSound

Aspiring to Boost
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I'll ask the questions in a better format so that I might get some input.

1) Using the B16 USDM harness, do I need to rewire anything?
2) Why would I have extra connectors on the B16 harness?
3) Do I absolutely need the lower mounts short-term since I'm using stiffer hasports on the uppers?

Thanks all.

RonJ

Banned
Post the pin numbers and wire colors of the extra connectors. Pictures are always helpful.