B16a2 swap won't start

Marvin_f

I just finished swapping a Jdm b16a2 into a usdm Honda Civic dx. The stock engine was a d16y7 obd2 so my problem is that this new engine won't start and I've run out of ideas of what it might be. I've extended the o2 sensor, added vtec and knock sensor, and made the Icav sensor 2 wire. I bought brand new spark plugs, spark plug wires, distributor, and new starter and I've also checked all the ground cables and I'm pretty sure my battery is good. I'm also using a pt2 ecu so I just don't know why it won't start there's no crank. image.jpeg

Attachments

MotorMo

Respected
I'm guessing your Civic is 96-98 by the front bumper? Do you have a OBD2A-OBD2B ECU jumper harness? The later Civic models,99-2000, used a different pin out on the ECU connectors than the earlier 96-98 Civics. The pt2 ECU is from the 99-2000 Civic Si. Just a thought.

mc360

boosted hx
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
The motor won't turn over? It's either A. Bad wiring/not connected wiring B. as in battery C. A bad starter motor D. A seized engine

Have you tried turning the engine by hand to make sure it's not seized? Did you possibly leave a charged battery connected while doing the swap possibly shorting a wire and popping a fuse (possibly 80a battery or 50a ign) ?

Marvin_f

The motor won't turn over? It's either A. Bad wiring/not connected wiring B. as in battery C. A bad starter motor D. A seized engine

Have you tried turning the engine by hand to make sure it's not seized? Did you possibly leave a charged battery connected while doing the swap possibly shorting a wire and popping a fuse (possibly 80a battery or 50a ign) ?
Yeah I've turned the engine by hand, I'm pretty sure my battery is good I bought it before doing the swap and it turns on everything inside without a problem the only thing I've noticed is that the lights dim when I turn the key might it be the battery?

Marvin_f

I'm guessing your Civic is 96-98 by the front bumper? Do you have a OBD2A-OBD2B ECU jumper harness? The later Civic models,99-2000, used a different pin out on the ECU connectors than the earlier 96-98 Civics. The pt2 ECU is from the 99-2000 Civic Si. Just a thought.
Yeah my civic is from 1997 Honda Civic, my harness plugged in with out a problem so I'm not sure if it's obd2b or a, and I didn't use a jumper harness I added and extended because the engine came with the harness but for a sir 2 right hand drive

MotorMo

Respected
So, when you go to start it, does it turn over? or not crank at all? OBD2A and OBD2B connectors are the same, just the wires inside the connectors have a different pin out I believe.

Marvin_f

So, when you go to start it, does it turn over? or not crank at all? OBD2A and OBD2B connectors are the same, just the wires inside the connectors have a different pin out I believe.
Nothing happens I only here a clicking sound from the fuse box in the engine bay next to the battery, yeah I just added vtec and knock sensor to where they use to be on the old harness and I moved the Icav and took out the orange wire

mc360

boosted hx
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
97 is obd2a and b16a2 came in 99-00 (I think there is a 96-98 b16 sedan in Europe) but unless you have the matching ecu then you need a conversion harness to run a usdm b16a2 ecu.

Have you tried charging the battery or Jump starting the car?

Marvin_f

97 is obd2a and b16a2 came in 99-00 (I think there is a 96-98 b16 sedan in Europe) but unless you have the matching ecu then you need a conversion harness to run a usdm b16a2 ecu.

Have you tried charging the battery or Jump starting the car?
This engine I bought came from Canada and it brought everything from the engine, axels, ecu,harness, and shift linkange. I think that would be the next step to jump start it. I'll try that

Marvin_f

So today i tried jump starting it and it still didn't turn on nothing happened no turn over. I have one question so if I'm using the alternator that came with the new engine do i have to change the plug in my harness, does it change? cause i just plugged it in.

mc360

boosted hx
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
I don't think they changed the starting circuit pinout between obd2a and 2b but I would look at the obd2a pinout for ecu and obd2b pinout and compare, maybe you will find your issue

Marvin_f

S
I don't think they changed the starting circuit pinout between obd2a and 2b but I would look at the obd2a pinout for ecu and obd2b pinout and compare, maybe you will find your issue
so I checked to see if the alternator had a different plug and it doesn't they're both 4 wire and square plug. I don't know what could be the problem☹

MotorMo

Respected
Don't worry about the alternator, the battery starts the car, the alternator charges the battery while running, and maintains a steady supply of voltage while running and dealing with different 'loads'. I must be something simple...

Marvin_f

Don't worry about the alternator, the battery starts the car, the alternator charges the battery while running, and maintains a steady supply of voltage while running and dealing with different 'loads'. I must be something simple...
alright Ill check to see if all the wires are hooked up and the negatives are screwed on tightly.

Marvin_f

It finally started up!!!!!! I gave the starter a direct feed I don't know why the cable wasn't giving positive signal but I'm thinking about outing a button start up switch thing, or what should I do? One little problem was that the idol was very low and so up hills it was really hard for it to push but I got it up high a little bit and now it's okay

mc360

boosted hx
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
maybe the wire is corroded? hows your ground cable from the battery to the chassis look? the ground cable on my toyota pickup was so corroded that the corrosion had crept up the wire so far that my truck wouldnt start all of a sudden, once i replace the wire it fired right up