B16a2 wont rev past 3500 rpm 2000 civic si

fathefner

5+ Year Member
I have a 2000 Civic Si, Manuel trans, and when I drive it the car wont rev passed 3500 rpm like its in limp mode. So I disconnected the battery, and when I started it up it feels great until a few miles into driving the car when it then again hits the 3500 rpm, and trying to start it sounds weird it cranks and turns but doesn't start.

The distributor is about a year in a half old, and I just replaced the spark plugs after I started having this problem.

Any ideas and suggestions, I've search and searched, so if anyone knows that would help me out a lot thanks.

RonJ

Banned
Don't run the car without the battery connected. This can damage the ECU and electrical system.

Any CEL codes?

stupidguy10

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
sounds like the ecu went into safe mode.....this happened to a buddy of mine a year so ago....i will talk to him and see how you get that fixed

hardcore97

Hard Core
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
yep its in limp mode. see what codes your throwing and fix them

Slim_Shadey55

5+ Year Member
its a broken v-tec switch. cost about $10 to replace. happened to my car when a friend robbed my vtec switch.

fathefner

5+ Year Member
I got CEL code p0335 I'm sure I need to replace the distributor.

Damn I replaced the distributor in may of 08, but I was trowing up a Crankshaft position sensor then, but the car never went in limp mode. I recently took it to my awesome Vtec mechanic in Austin, TX props to to his shop Grand Imports. He said that when he took off the timing cover the wrong crank gear was installed and not moving the belt right. Hahaha the previous owner was sooo dumb I've personally had to learn so much just to fix what he f**ked up.

airzi

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
not necisary the previous owner may have been used some back street garage.