B16b average build cost

Peter Boyles

I'm hoping to get some people advice on buying a B16b Engine to swap in to my 1999 Honda Civic ex coup. Iv been looking all over the internet for B16b prices, and my question is how much should I pay for a B16b engine and how much on average would it cost to buy and build to get a around 300 hp with boost. Thanks for reading and your time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

HeX

Authoritah, respected.
Staff member
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Have you researched the many online resources that sell B16 engines, or the many threads with builds around 300hp? If so, explain your findings. If not, start researching.

XpL0d3r

I had a Civic once.
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
:welcome: @Peter Boyles

It really depends. You can get a B16 from places such as HMotorsOnline, with guaranteed good quality but a hefty price. Or you could look locally (or fairly locally) for B16's in your area, and hope that it's in good condition.

As for boosting, this also depends. You can piece together a turbo kit and likely save some $. Or, you can get a mostly complete kit at places like Go-Autoworks. You'll spend more, but you'll have guaranteed quality and new parts.

Personally, I spent $1100 on a complete JDM B18B motor, with "43000 miles" but no proof of that. This was complete with transmission, intake manifold, etc. I think I spent $2500 on a kit from Go-Autoworks, but this did not include fuel management, a better radiator, and most importantly, tuning. I think the kits are much cheaper than $2500 now a days though (I purchased that kit back in 2010).

Set $500 aside for nothing but tuning alone. The tune is THE most important part - spend the money on it and get it professionally tuned.

I think overall, including cost of motor, turbo parts, fuel management (higher fuel pump, bigger injectors, etc), misc. parts, and tuning, I spent somewhere around $4500. I got lucky and got a great running motor from some dude off Craigslist who lived 10 minutes from me.

You have your power goal, so now set a budget. I made 250whp with my setup, so 300 is also very do-able with the same price range I was in. Look into how turbos work, and figure out which size you want to go with. I highly suggest reading this link to get a good understanding of how each component works. The site is a bit dated, but the information there is more than plentiful and still relevant.

And as always, remember -- cheap, fast, reliable. Pick two, you'll never get the third one.