b18b at 81.5mm, 400whp

jason_guy_yeah

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
My original goal was to push my ls motor to 400whp with h-beams and forged pistons. But, the machine shop suggested to hone it or bore it out to 82mm because, I have light score marks on the cylinders. But, I also have been told that I'll be fine with the 81.5mm bore. What do you guys think?

slambed_civic

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
81.5 is good. what compression pistons?

jason_guy_yeah

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
True but, less room for error. ie..altitude change, tempature, bad gas...but I'm ok with the cylinders being a hair scored?

jason_guy_yeah

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
There's small vertical lines in the cylinder walls and the pistons that were in there where at 81mm while the bore was at 81.5 mm. The current bore is 81.5mm.

slambed_civic

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
There's small vertical lines in the cylinder walls and the pistons that were in there where at 81mm while the bore was at 81.5 mm. The current bore is 81.5mm.
DOH! play it safe and do it right. go 82mm. and getta block gaurd.

jason_guy_yeah

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
With these things said, how much torque will this motor be able to handle with of course with a good tune at 82mm? That is, safely on a dd?

slambed_civic

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
With these things said, how much torque will this motor be able to handle with of course with a good tune at 82mm? That is, safely on a dd?
dont know for sure. ide say around 300-325 ish? conservatively. good run and good fuel you should be able to see better numbers

mike@synapse

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
you had 81mm pistons in an 81.5mm motor?

i wouldnt turbocharge a stock sleeve 82mm motor.

jason_guy_yeah

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
The kid before me supposidly had the motor rebuilt proffesionaly; when I tore the motor apart. The pistons where charded black so... machine shop...^^yeah.

AlexM

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
I've heard some bad news about blockguards. Maybe look into it a bit more before going that route.

stealthy

4 Doors For More Whores
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
screw blockguards. get a new block, bore it to 81.5mm and put your pistons and rods in it. and then go play with 400whp.

slambed_civic

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
screw blockguards. get a new block, bore it to 81.5mm and put your pistons and rods in it. and then go play with 400whp.
reading owns you. he doesnt have 81.5mm pistons, he has 81. they were put in a block that was 81.5. and why do you say screw blockgaurds?

stealthy

4 Doors For More Whores
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
reading owns you. he doesnt have 81.5mm pistons, he has 81. they were put in a block that was 81.5. and why do you say screw blockgaurds?
right dickweed. reading owns you because if youd read anything about blockguards and do some research on what it takes to get 400whp out of a stock sleeved b18 you would find that they are junk. so i will let you read on your own to find out why they will do more harm than good, not to mention they ARE NOT needed. heres a tip, go to evans-tuning.com and look around there.

as for the pistons, i dont care what he has, obviously his old ones are not going to fit. what i was saying is to use 81.5mm bore and pistons. period.:roll:

get your learn on young grasshopper