b18b1 turbo or d16y7 turbo???

b18b1 turbo or d16y7 turbo

• Total voters

usafdad120108

which would you guys do??? trying to get to about 200-225 whp and keep the a/c. Its my dd so needs to be reliable. Im not on a real tight budget but which is the cheaper/better route to go? I do not want any more than my goal.....EVER lol just the 200-250whp

cgpEJ6

noob
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
B18 over D16, no question about it. You're starting off with 1.8 vs. 1.6, DOHC vs. SOHC, more hp to start. I can't think of a single reason anyone would even consider a Y7 over a B18. It would be pretty tough to have a Y7 make 250 hp and be reliable.

usafdad120108

well reason i ask is the ceapest i can get a b18b swap is $2500 then i would have to pay for turbo etc where as $2500 would be a mean d16 setup....understand?

techavluis

Registered VIP
You thru cheaper into it..... D16 for sure.

cgpEJ6

noob
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
well reason i ask is the cheapest i can get a b18b swap is $2500 then i would have to pay for turbo etc where as $2500 would be a mean d16 setup....understand?
$2,500 for a B18B??? That's way too high, they go for a lot less than that. Where are you looking? A D16Y7 turbo isn't going to make near the same power as a B18B turbo with a similar setup.

techavluis

Registered VIP
$2,500 for a B18B??? That's way too high, they go for a lot less than that. Where are you looking? A D16Y7 turbo isn't going to make near the same power as a B18B turbo with a similar setup.
I don't think he is saying the motor is 2500. I think he is talking about a shop doing to whole swap. And I think he knows that the b18 has more power. It's about money and 200-250hp

2slo4u

wait4me
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
If you want quick power without any motor work: b series
If you want to build up the motor and have a nice strong motor with new parts to handle the boost: d series

rayej8

5+ Year Member
2500 for a b18b1 ur getting ripped off ive seen complete b20vtec swaps and lsv swaps for around 1500.... but that horse power can b met with both b18 or d16 all it is u really have to save ur money up for is the tuning...my buddy has a homemade turbo set up on his ef d15b and is hittin about 295hp on the wheels...he achived it by picking up a good turbo and sleeving his block dats all he did on a stock head and got good results

Jersey8

B20: Detroit Muscle!
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
b18 turbo. you'll thank us later

usafdad120108

ya i know a b18b would be better in the long run but i just wanted 200-250hp thats why i was kind of leaning towards turboing the d. The best price for a shop around here can do is $2500 for the full swap labor and all. I dont have the tools or the know how to put it in myself or I would. So paying the $2500 for the swap then save for turbo would be better that just $2500 on the d?

Jersey8

B20: Detroit Muscle!
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
ya i know a b18b would be better in the long run but i just wanted 200-250hp thats why i was kind of leaning towards turboing the d. The best price for a shop around here can do is $2500 for the full swap labor and all. I dont have the tools or the know how to put it in myself or I would. So paying the $2500 for the swap then save for turbo would be better that just $2500 on the d?
solution: buy tools, research for know-how. sure the research may take some time, but its worth it when you will cut that $2500 in half if you do the swap yourself, even after you buy the tools you need

techavluis

Registered VIP
solution: buy tools, research for know-how. sure the research may take some time, but its worth it when you will cut that $2500 in half if you do the swap yourself, even after you buy the tools you need
+1

what he said

civicjunkie

5+ Year Member
with the b18b you can make like 300whp easy stock everything...... a single cam you can make around 200 before it starts to go out on a limb

Cooper76

I paid $2000 for my entire ls turbo swap and love it! It's my daily driver too. If I had to do it over again, I wouldn't change a thing!

usafdad120108

with the b18b you can make like 300whp easy stock everything...... a single cam you can make around 200 before it starts to go out on a limb
I know the b18b is better i know i can make more power i know all this. you guys are missing the point for my goals....200whp would it just be better to turbo the d cause to make my goals not only do i have to do the swap for the b18b BUT.....then i need a turbo setup which will cost even more......I will be happy with a 200whp civic its not a race car, im not looking to drag race with it i will get a real sports car for that....no offense to other civic owners they are really nice but lets face it the car wasnt exactly designed for it. I just want a little more power for my DD thats all

stupidhard

BOAT KNIGHT!
well lets see. you want to remain cost effective and still have a turbo.
honestly you should try to find a less expensive engine. im sure the guy trying to sell you the swap has a good deal for you but you could really do better. maybe try to talk him down a few bucks or try to do your own work.

in the long run you may find yourself spending more on the anemic d16 in repairs. the b18 is a far superior design and will handle the small amount of boost for a long time. some would call it not enough and im running into the same issue. im planning a nearly identical swap and turbo set up. I can find a mill and tranny for under 500 bux drop in a forged bottom end and port match the head to the intake and exhaust on my lonesome. my power target is a mere 250 at the wheels should I decide to run 110 octane at a track day somewhere. I suspect my project may cost up to 5k but that's ok because I know I wont be stuck on the side of the road as long as I can keep oil and good gas in it.

b18... do it!

-chris

cgpEJ6

noob
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
well lets see. you want to remain cost effective and still have a turbo.
honestly you should try to find a less expensive engine. im sure the guy trying to sell you the swap has a good deal for you but you could really do better. maybe try to talk him down a few bucks or try to do your own work.

in the long run you may find yourself spending more on the anemic d16 in repairs. the b18 is a far superior design and will handle the small amount of boost for a long time. some would call it not enough and im running into the same issue. im planning a nearly identical swap and turbo set up. I can find a mill and tranny for under 500 bux drop in a forged bottom end and port match the head to the intake and exhaust on my lonesome. my power target is a mere 250 at the wheels should I decide to run 110 octane at a track day somewhere. I suspect my project may cost up to 5k but that's ok because I know I wont be stuck on the side of the road as long as I can keep oil and good gas in it.

b18... do it!

-chris
This thread is over 2 years old. :slap: