b18c, Ls/Vtec, or B20z2/Vtec ???

NoWayBack91Si

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Well right now i have a jdm b18c gsr swap in my 99 civic coupe. My piston rings are shot and im trying to figure out what to do. My options are:

-rebuild my current gsr block
-get a b20z2 block for B20/VTEC
-get an LS block for LS/VTEC

Im not planning to turbo or anything. It will be N/A for as long as i have it. Regaurdless of whichever option i go with, when i get a different block or rebuild my current one, It will be mildly built.

Which option is better to go with as far as reliablility and power? which will be faster?

The reason why I was considering getting a different block is because I dont have a spare car. So it would be best for me to have a spare block that will be getting built at a shop while i can still drive my car with the current block w/ bad rings. Then ones the block is done I can take a weekend to pull my motor and swap blocks, etc.

I would appeaciate any info! Thanks

12.8:1 Ls/vtec

IT'S OVER NINE THOUSAND!!
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
get another gsr bottom end.

12.8:1 Ls/vtec

IT'S OVER NINE THOUSAND!!
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
Well, it is a better built motor than the Ls or the b20 bottom end, oil squirters, crank girdle, better balanced bottom end. Plus you would have to spend money for an Ls/vtec kit and plug the oil orifice in the head, and externally run oil to it. Also better compression. But It would also be the easier choice.

andrew256

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Well, it is a better built motor than the Ls or the b20 bottom end, oil squirters, crank girdle, better balanced bottom end. Plus you would have to spend money for an Ls/vtec kit and plug the oil orifice in the head, and externally run oil to it. Also better compression. But It would also be the easier choice.
:word:

hardcore97

Hard Core
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
there is a guy here that has a b20 vtec that revs to 10.5k with only upgraded rod bolts. been running that way for a LONG time. he doesnt beat on it but its lasted for a long time