B18c6 or H22A

Didzis85

5+ Year Member
Dear ClubCivicers =)
I would like to hear your opinion on this.
I have 2 engines - B18c6 (euro ITR) and H22A (a 2.2liter vtec engine).

Bonus is that I have a Greddy/Holset/Skunk2/Plazaman mixture waiting to be installed on one of them and into 1994 HB.

Advantages? Disadvantages? Know issues/problems ?

Thank you in advance.

Regards.
:banana:

96 DX Hatch

Alex
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Didzis85 said:
Dear ClubCivicers =)
I would like to hear your opinion on this.
I have 2 engines - B18c6 (euro ITR) and H22A (a 2.2liter vtec engine)
B18c6 would be best for n/a application (imo)

H22a would be best if you decide to boost it (imo again)

But yeah, this has been covered plenty of times, simple search would net you all answers you will need

DetainedCivic

I haz SR20
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
96 DX Hatch[B said:
]B18c6 would be best for n/a application[/B] (imo)

H22a would be best if you decide to boost it
(imo again)

But yeah, this has been covered plenty of times, simple search would net you all answers you will need
Wrong and WRONG. Try again. B18C-r is just as good to boost as a H22. At low boost settings with a proper tune both motors are good choices for boost. As well they are good choice for N/A. Go ahead and say I am wrong it has been proven. There are some tuners that will run higher compression with lower boost and get good numbers just like the guys running low compression with high boost. H22 is WAY cheaper then a b18c-r with the extra $3000 you save going H22 you can throw money into the H22 to walk the b18c-r down the street to school and say have a nice day son.

96 DX Hatch

Alex
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
DetainedCivic said:
Wrong and WRONG. Try again. B18C-r is just as good to boost as a H22. At low boost settings with a proper tune both motors are good choices for boost. As well they are good choice for N/A. Go ahead and say I am wrong it has been proven. There are some tuners that will run higher compression with lower boost and get good numbers just like the guys running low compression with high boost. H22 is WAY cheaper then a b18c-r with the extra $3000 you save going H22 you can throw money into the H22 to walk the b18c-r down the street to school and say have a nice day son.
Those were in my opinion. I was suggesting the H as a boost motor because yeah it's cheaper, and why mess with compression on a Type-R motor :lol:

Plus like you pretty much said, boosted H22 is about the same price as a pretty much stock Type-R motor

DetainedCivic

I haz SR20
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
96 DX Hatch said:
Those were in my opinion. I was suggesting the H as a boost motor because yeah it's cheaper, and why mess with compression on a Type-R motor :lol:
I never said mess with the compression. You can safely run 5psi to a type r with a nice fuel setup and have no problems. But with any boosted setup, if you want to make good power, upgrading connecting rods, pistons are the first step to any boosted setup. Therefor validates my point that if he wanted to go boost that an H22 motor would be cheaper in the long run. Hell if he wants to stay n/a, h22 is a cheaper route.

96 DX Hatch

Alex
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
DetainedCivic said:
I never said mess with the compression. You can safely run 5psi to a type r with a nice fuel setup and have no problems.
Yeah but 5psi is for pussies :lol:
We all know mo is betta :lol:

I keed, I keed...haven't seen too many n/a H22's so that's why I didn't mention it :oops: