b20b swap, wont star: 1990 Civic hatch

Status
Not open for further replies.

Weaksauce Honda

J1 JDM B20b EF
5+ Year Member
ok so i daily drive my car to high school and the other day when we got out i get iin my car and start it and it idled for about five minutes and then died. so i thought it was fuel, so my friend gave me a ride to the gas station and got gas and put it in. when i try to start it still wont. now it has fuel pressure and spark but still isnt coming on. so i was wondering if anyone knows what it is or what i should check. IF ANYONE CAN HELP IT IS GREATLY APPRECIATED...

THANKS, ROSENDO

RonJ

Banned
What color is spark at the plugs? It should be bright white.

Is fuel injected into the cylinders?

Any CEL codes?

Otherwise, check the mechanical timing as mentioned above.

Weaksauce Honda

J1 JDM B20b EF
5+ Year Member
What color is spark at the plugs? It should be bright white.

Is fuel injected into the cylinders?

Any CEL codes?

Otherwise, check the mechanical timing as mentioned above.
idk about in the cylinders but i know fuel sprays at the injecters

also the car is not throwing any codes

THANKS, Rosendo

petey707pablo

5+ Year Member
U can check by placibg the crank pulley on top dead center and looking at cam gears to see if all the marks still line up if they dont it has jumped

crxbrad

There should be a TDC mark on your timing belt cover. Match that up w/the mark on your crank pulley. That will show you TDC. Then you can check the cam gears to see if the belt has jumped a tooth or two.

Weaksauce Honda

J1 JDM B20b EF
5+ Year Member
thanks for all the help but when i gave my friend a ride that day thier foot pulled an ecu cord loose so there was no connection but its fixed now

thanks, Rosendo

Robotnick

I bet its the throttle position sensor. Had the same problem with my other civic. took it to 4 separate shops who misdiagnosed it. swapped my plugs and battery. still was stalling after running for a few minutes. Switched out the throttle positions sensor(60$ part) been working ever since. Most shops will want to replace the entire intake manifold. including the honda dealer. So may have to do this one yourself or at a mechanic you know kind of deal. Good luck

XpL0d3r

I had a Civic once.
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
I bet its the throttle position sensor. Had the same problem with my other civic. took it to 4 separate shops who misdiagnosed it. swapped my plugs and battery. still was stalling after running for a few minutes. Switched out the throttle positions sensor(60$ part) been working ever since. Most shops will want to replace the entire intake manifold. including the honda dealer. So may have to do this one yourself or at a mechanic you know kind of deal. Good luck
Thread is 6 years old homie.

XpL0d3r

I had a Civic once.
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
yeah I noticed that after I posted. I was just going through the similar posts at the bottom answering crap not looking at dates. I look like a retard now haha
lol, no worries man :thumbs up

Status
Not open for further replies.