b20b vtec build

89y49rexsi

twinke team bio
5+ Year Member
hey yall im semi new so ihope that this is the right section for this but here goes

now keep inmind that i have swapped a motor before but i have never built one before so try to help me out

i am going to build a b20b vtec with obviously a b20b block and a b16 head
the reason i am using a b16a head is because that is what i already have
the block has a spun #3 rob bearing so im buying it for 100 and im going to use acl race bearings and a new oem oil pump

the head is going to be p&p and im having supertech bronze valve guides along with brian crower dual valve springs and titanium retainers installed with a set of stage 2 skunk2 cams and some aem trutime cam gears

the block has allready has the oil sending unit tapped and has the dowels for a b16a head so the only thing as far as an ls vtec kit iwill need is arp head studs and a golden eagle b20b modded head gasket and an oil line for the head

and i have been told that i need to have one of the oil gallys plugged and that sounds like bs to me i always thought that it had to be tapped for an oil line

here is the current parts and price list as of yet

the new price list goes as such

b20b block---100
dual valve springs and titretainers----319
bronze vavlve guides----89
stainless line-----est 20
oilline fitting on b16 head---20
acl race bearings-----100
b16a head------n/a
hytech replica header long tube------390 shipped
custome exhaust piping 2"----100
magnaflow muffler------67.99
oem oil pump-----190
skunk2 stage 2 tuner series cams------used 250 w/gears
aem trutime gears------129
obx high flow catylytic converter-----60
arp head studs------139 shipped
golden eagle metal head gasket fo modified b20b with b16 dowel----99

and the est grand total is----2,161

my budget for the engine is 2,600 and i will start collecting parts as soon as i get my disability check

if you would like to share your opinions please do
or if i have received false info about parts needed let me know

89y49rexsi

twinke team bio
5+ Year Member
oh and my hp goal is about 250-260

cksnah252

Mr.Spades4o1
5+ Year Member
I'm trying to do the same thing also! What kind of pistons do you plan on using? I heard RS pistons make good power and also good for your budget. Anybody else knows about the RS pistons?

89y49rexsi

twinke team bio
5+ Year Member
i havent heard that but now i can ask around about it

what motor do they come out of i have been in the honda game for about 3 years but i have never hesrd of rs pistons my only guess would be that they are from a b18a and if so they wont work because the bore is too large for ls pistons

jcivic94

5+ Year Member
looks good man are the figures your looking for whp? any pics? good luck with the build

89y49rexsi

twinke team bio
5+ Year Member
yes they are whp and i will get some pics up as soon as i start ordering and receiving the parts i am on medical leave from my work right now and have been ever since feb 25th and i am just waiting on my short term dissability to finally approve my claim so that i can build this motor and get some bills paid off now that i thinki have jumped through all the hoops that they can throw at me

Backwoodz

5+ Year Member
oh and my hp goal is about 250-260
There is no way your going to get that with your setup. To get that amount on an NA its going to take Very high compression and lots of headwork. Yours will probably be around the 200 mark. Also should go with a bigger exhaust 2.5"-3". But sounds like a good build

89y49rexsi

twinke team bio
5+ Year Member
hahaha i am doing lots of headwork
and i will shoot a 75 wet shot later on but with a good tune i should be pretty close to my goal

and 2 " should be fine considering the fact that this motor will find its way into my ef sedan that i am building up as a sleeper and the fact that my crx has a b16 with a 4-1 header and 2.5" exhaust and i get the pops from lack of back pressure

but i would go 3 " except for the fact that i want the car to be somewhat quiet and anything bigger than 2" will get the cops out here after me considering that anything other than stock is illigal

cksnah252

Mr.Spades4o1
5+ Year Member
i havent heard that but now i can ask around about it

what motor do they come out of i have been in the honda game for about 3 years but i have never hesrd of rs pistons my only guess would be that they are from a b18a and if so they wont work because the bore is too large for ls pistons
Wrong, if u google'd around and search for rs pistons, they also come in 84mm bore size for b20 applications. What I heard is that RS Pistons are basically civic type r or integra type r pistons but modified to be much stronger or something like that. Its just like endyn using wiseco pistons and making it better. Correct me if I'm wrong guys, I'm pretty not sure about this but is what I heard. Rs pistons are cheap so I'll either end up grabbing those or some wiseco 84.5mm pistons for crvtec. I still dont know what I'm going to do yet since I bought a block with no vin :evil:.

89y49rexsi

twinke team bio
5+ Year Member
is the vin really nessicary lol idk

but my budget is already maxed out i cant go over 3 grand and i now need an ecu and a full dyno tune and a ob1 jumber for the dizzy and a ob1 dizzy and an obo to ob1 ecu jumper that maxes out my budget lol

i only have so long to do this build or i would just save and buy them but okay

Kensai

♪♫♪♫♪~
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
To be honest I think your power goal is a little high, you'll need some high compression pistons and a good tune/cam timing to hit that.

cksnah252

Mr.Spades4o1
5+ Year Member
is the vin really nessicary lol idk

but my budget is already maxed out i cant go over 3 grand and i now need an ecu and a full dyno tune and a ob1 jumber for the dizzy and a ob1 dizzy and an obo to ob1 ecu jumper that maxes out my budget lol

i only have so long to do this build or i would just save and buy them but okay
Eh I doubt it, but who cares besides me lol! Yea I also have a 4 grand budget, but still dunno what I'm going to do yet. Probably go all out, and buy the good s**t so motor dont go BOOOM!!! lol.

89y49rexsi

twinke team bio
5+ Year Member
i wony have money for bottom end mods right now that will be in the future and i am shooting for the stars lol i want to stay in my budget now that i have been diagnosed with multiple sclerosis but bottom ends are not to bad to swap out i will build this motor as the plan i have laid out goes and see how that goes and slowley build a bottom end fully forged and sleeved and proceed to boost the piss outta it lol