B20Z2 question

Mister_Perkins

Team Honda
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
I found a motor that looks promising. Its a B20Z2 Long Block. it has 84mm bore 9.8.1 Compression. I was told from a guy that is a mechanic at honda usa, and he said that if I got a CRV Block with an Integra head, it was the way to go as far as power. First, would the engine fit in my car? My other question is would I be able to use my tranny, or would I have to swap a new tranny in it as well? I am assuming I will need to change motor mounts, Computer, Harness, etc.. ? Is this a correct assumption? I would really appreciate some feedback, as I am seriously looking into either getting a B16a2 or a B20z2 if it will fit. Thanks.

Inigo Montoya

powered by boost
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
b20z2 is indeed the CR-V.

You will need the following if you are running a D motor:

mounts
harness
axles
ecu (get p28 or similar obd1)
ecu conversion harness (or rewire yourself.. easy if you know what youre doing)
tranny

As far as b20 + b16/b18 vtec head... its like any other frankenstein.. have a shop do it, and make sure they adress oil pressure.

b20 + turbo = pwnge.

300whp is a safe limit on these blocks too btw.

How mucha are you paying?

grncoupe98

5+ Year Member
yes it will fit i have a friend with the b20 vtec in a 92 hatch and no you cant use your tranny and your assumption is correct

Mister_Perkins

Team Honda
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Inigo Montoya said:
b20z2 is indeed the CR-V.

You will need the following if you are running a D motor:

mounts
harness
axles
ecu (get p28 or similar obd1)
ecu conversion harness (or rewire yourself.. easy if you know what youre doing)
tranny

As far as b20 + b16/b18 vtec head... its like any other frankenstein.. have a shop do it, and make sure they adress oil pressure.

b20 + turbo = pwnge.

300whp is a safe limit on these blocks too btw.

How mucha are you paying?
Thats awesome that it will fit.. Im totally stoked. The guy is selling me it for 900.00 + 300.00 s&h. Is this a decent deal price wise?

that VERBAL

AKA Theiven Stealberg
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I have never had or ridden in one, but I have heard of reliability issues with the CRV-tec. I am not an expert on B20 motors, and I'm sure somebody can elaborate on it, but the stroke isn't very suitable for making high power apparently and the cams can't be adjusted too much.

It's a frankenstein motor, so don't expect the most reliability out of it. You can read up on it here....

http://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=174153

Inigo Montoya

powered by boost
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Mister_Perkins said:
Thats awesome that it will fit.. Im totally stoked. The guy is selling me it for 900.00 + 300.00 s&h. Is this a decent deal price wise?
for just the motor or tranny + ecu + harness + axles etc included?

I personally would pay 1200 shipped if its a complete swap, otherwise i wouldn't spend over 800 shipped.

Handlebars

None Taken.
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
1200 is pretty high, it better have a warranty and very low miles. b20's are great motors, i had one in my car for a year, it totally transforms the feel of a civic. its a b***h to do the swap though, it takes more work than a normal b swap.

Mister_Perkins

Team Honda
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Inigo Montoya said:
for just the motor or tranny + ecu + harness + axles etc included?

I personally would pay 1200 shipped if its a complete swap, otherwise i wouldn't spend over 800 shipped.
It is a complete swap

Mister_Perkins

Team Honda
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
handlebarsfsr said:
1200 is pretty high, it better have a warranty and very low miles. b20's are great motors, i had one in my car for a year, it totally transforms the feel of a civic. its a b***h to do the swap though, it takes more work than a normal b swap.
Why did you only have it in your car for a year? Is the B20 a horror story?

Handlebars

None Taken.
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Mister_Perkins said:
Why did you only have it in your car for a year? Is the B20 a horror story?

no not at all, i just wanted something different.

that VERBAL

AKA Theiven Stealberg
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I have heard a number of horror stories though, you always do with frankenstein motors though. if it is done right and you aren't trying to squeeze like 400 whp out of it daily driven though you shouldn't have to worry TOO much.

Inigo Montoya