1. New Forum Software:
    We have finally upgraded the forum software due to it being so outdated. If you are having any issues with new forum please let us know. Please post any issues in this thread http://www.clubcivic.com/forum/threads/clubcivic-com-forum-upgrade.227221/

Backfire!

Discussion in 'Engine Tech / Drivetrain' started by reg_lus, Jul 16, 2010.

Welcome to ClubCivic a Honda Civic Forum

Club Civic is an online Honda Civic forum and community for all Honda Civic enthusiasts. Whether you own a Honda Civic Si, Ex, Type R, Dx, Lx, Cx, Dx, Vx, or even a hybrid you will find valuable information and honda civic car parts on this site. Take a look around to view Honda Civic discussion; including a photo gallery, maintenance information, tech tips, as well as ways to get better performance from your Honda Civic. Visit the Members Ride's to view and rate other member’s Honda Civics. Click here to start viewing the Honda Civic Forums. Before you start posting on this site you will need to register. If you are already registered and not logged in, please login here.

Browse the forums by generation by clicking below or browse all honda civic forums.

1. reg_lus

reg_lus New Member Registered VIP 5+ Year Member

I was watching youtube and they have all these civic's that backfires with all these flames! It's kinda crazy how it does that!
    Is there any way how my single cam can do that? Well, I've got AEM INTAKE, HEADER, STRAIGHT PIPE ALL THE WAY TO MUFFLER...does it matter? lol i dont know anything..lol

2. civhatch92

civhatch92 That's my honda. Registered VIP Registered OG 5+ Year Member

3. reg_lus

reg_lus New Member Registered VIP 5+ Year Member

but dont i have to chip my ecu?

4. VSP

VSP Just hand me the wrench. Registered VIP 5+ Year Member

Nah. Google "rev limiter flames" and cross reference some of the products (Bee*R, for example) that pop up with the associated videos. Should be an interesting place to perk your curiosity and start your research.

5. 2NRSTV

2NRSTV Team Exile/ADO Garage Registered VIP

Well, the Bee*R system and other systems like it are 2-Step ignitions.
    I'll be nice and give you a low down on the system, reg_lus.

A 2-step is pretty much a system that puts 2 rev-limits on your vehicle. You set them to switches, like if you want one rev-limit when the clutch is pressed it (for launching) and one for when the clutch is let out.
    How many switches you can have on the system (or rev-limits) depends on how many steps you have. So a 3-step will have 3 rev-limits and a 4-step will have 4 rev limits.
    For most rev-limiters, it cuts the fuel. That is why you don't usually see flames. But the problem with cutting fuel is, it causes a very lean condition that can damage the engine.
    Also, 2-steps can be utilized to initiate sequential misfires, causing load, which will actually spool turbos, so you can launch your turbo car with positive boost instead of vacuum.

The Bee*R system, which is the also a 2-step (2 stage rev limiter) cuts ignition, not fuel. That is why there are flames coming out of the exhaust.

I recommend the Bee*R Type H system. I also recommend removing the Cat if you know you're going to activate the system because it may cause damage to it.

There. There's a start for your research. But do like VSP says and google it. There's a lot more to 2-steps and their related systems that you should know before purchasing something like it.

6. Indy_Civic

Indy_Civic New Member Registered VIP 5+ Year Member

or put some spark in your mufflers like on monster garage

7. 2NRSTV

Won't really help. Civic's burn too clean to have enough fuel in the exhaust to ignite by a spark plug. I already tried.

8. VSP

VSP Just hand me the wrench. Registered VIP 5+ Year Member

(not my topic, but) Thnx for the info, Steve; you've always got great hands-on info on these kind of things. No ass kissing, but I like your website, too.

9. CDubs

CDubs New Member Registered VIP

wow just reading this makes me wanna go tell my friend to go cut his cat in his WRX before he 2 steps it, but he is an ass and thinks he knows everything so illj ust wait

back on topic wow steve thats some good info, but is there any way for a dual or single cam to just rev high and as it goes down rev again and see if it will pop a quick flame? i have an Apexi N1 can (exhaust lol) so will it work, just out of curiousity

10. Deadswitch

Deadswitch New Member

AEM has a nice 2step system, i know it worked well with bisimoto's 700 hp wagovan

11. 2NRSTV

Thanks VSP. That's what you get when you have cars rolling into your driveway 5 at a time to get mods installed every day for the past 10 years.

@ CDubs: Yes, it is possible. What you're going to want to do is make sure you do a valve adjustment. Get the gap as tight as you can, but within spec. This will make sure there is no lag for your exhaust valves and they will open at the earliest possible moment. Then make sure you have a good exhaust header (mild steel or stainless, it doesn't matter). I suggest a 4-2-1 one-piece because the scavenging affect and the fact that there are no obstructions variations within the piping like a gaps caused by gaskets. Run a test pipe and a free flowing exhaust. What you're trying to do is get the exhaust gases out of the engine and to the end of the exhaust as quickly as possible.

My 95 hatch was able to shoot a single blue flame about 12" when quick-shifting at redline with:
    AEM short ram intake
    DC Sports Mild Steel Ceramic Coated 4-2-1 1-Piece Header
    Test Pipe
    Stock Exhaust Piping (Si)
    Resonator Delete
    Random Carbon Fiber Muffler

12. 1993hatch

1993hatch New Member 5+ Year Member

i love you dude....i can only wish to be as educated on cars as u some day!!!