Bad Gas Mileage...

postal21

vroom vroom
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Okay, so my car has been getting bad gas mileage for awhile... I used to get around 30mpg, nowadays Im lucky to get in the low 20s...

Ive had a tune-up and timing belt changed recently and the problem still persists.

How much can my car being out of alignment and my front left strut being slightly broken ( missing a washer or something causing it to cause wheel hop etc.) effect my cars mileage?

My only other idea is that the o2 sensor has gone bad and is causing a bad fuel mix or something. Because I do have a catback exhaust... *shrug*

Help me. =)

btw, car has around 116,000 miles, everything but it being lowered and exhaust is stock.

Jersey8

B20: Detroit Muscle!
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
your o2 sensor can drastically effect your gas mileage. your alignment can cause it to drop slightly, depending how bad it is. change your o2 sensor, and your gas mileage will get better

is it your primary o2 or secondary o2?

Billy.

Has returned ;-)
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
o2 sensor x2

96swpdEK

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
o2 sensor = $$$

sucks.

Inertial

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
my secondary/downstream o2 sensor has been changed 3 times this year =[

it fixed the issue you are having for maybe 2weeks-1month before the o2 sensor went again. Idk im probably gonna go to honda to get their o2 sensor in my 150k checkup

ScratchNSniff

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Get fuel injectors cleaned...not sure if that was part of your tune up or not...I was experiencing horrible mileage (around 18-19MPG) and tried everything until one day I thought maybe it was dirty injectors...well it was...now I am back to getting around 34 MPG...yes, a 16MPG difference...

MidniteMike

5+ Year Member
I just went through this same thing with my car it seems, changed the primary O2 sensor and spotted a crack in the exhaust manifold, and since i'm cheap I just patched the crack for now, did this about a week ago and now am getting my 35mpg again compared to the 21 i was getting...

RedValve

~Team Penguin
5+ Year Member
mostly likely its the o2 sensor, but if you want to make sure check the fuel filter too id thats old might as well replace that also.