Bad news :(

em1civicsi

5+ Year Member
who is your mechanic? like really, he seems to suck. new block because the cross hatch is gone? thats common and can be brought back. 45 is the optimal angle, less or more can happen but isnt as efficient
I guess you does suck lol. Maybe he is saying this because he doesn't want to deal with what he see's idk..

Start asking your mechanic a lot of hard questions. Again, you are the buyer and he is the seller. This is business, so be smart unless you want to give your money away for nothing. For example, how does he know cylinder 3 piston is broken just from a compression test? What were the cylinder compression numbers? Did he do a leak down test on cylinder 3? Is he sure cylinder 3 doesn't have a bent or damaged valve? Don't let him do any work until you have clear answers to these questions. And definitely don't pay him anymore money until you know he's competent.
Ya bud, the compression he said were in the 200's and the 3rd cylinder said 0.

I'm really sorry AGAIN, I am a freakin noob, I won't make the same mistake twice.

He said he doesn't know what a leak down test is, that's what I asked him originally to do.

Today, he says, ohhhhh I can take it to a shop and total will cost $850.00 to re do my head, and fix anything that is wrong. I said that's way to much, he said that is a good deal, I don't believe him, sounds to expensive.

RonJ

Banned
the compression he said were in the 200's and the 3rd cylinder said 0.

He said he doesn't know what a leak down test is, that's what I asked him originally to do.
A compression test tells you that a cylinder is bad, but it does not tell you why. The leak down test tells you why the cylinder lacks compression. Any mechanic who doesn't know what a leak down test is isn't worth having. Don't believe anything this guy tells you. Question anything he's told you so far. Get your car towed to a reputable mechanic or tow it home so that you can redo the compression test and do leak down tests, if necessary.

Today, he says, ohhhhh I can take it to a shop and total will cost $850.00 to re do my head, and fix anything that is wrong. I said that's way to much, he said that is a good deal, I don't believe him, sounds to expensive.
You just bought a block and now he says your head is bad. Get yourself and your car out of there as fast as you can. What have you paid him so far, not counting the block you just bought? Is the block in your possession or does the mechanic have it?

em1civicsi

5+ Year Member
A compression test tells you that a cylinder is bad, but it does not tell you why. The leak down test tells you why the cylinder lacks compression. Any mechanic who doesn't know what a leak down test is isn't worth having. Don't believe anything this guy tells you. Question anything he's told you so far. Get you car towed to a reputable mechanic or tow it home so that you can redo the compression test and do leak down tests, if necessary.

You just bought a block and now he says your head is bad. Get yourself and your car out of there as fast as you can. What have you paid him so far, not counting the block you just bought? Is the block in your possession or does the mechanic have it?
Ya, you are right...

He hasn't charged me anything yet, I will have my car towed tomorrow to my house.

MistahJuice

100% real juice
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Seriously I'm confused here. Sell the damn block and pick up a new b16 head, a felpro head gasket kit or oem gaskets if you have the cash, look up a head gasket replacement guide on honda-tech or sumthin and put that s**t together if your block is fine and ur head is all thats messed up. Or if it's not too bad you can just take it to a machine shop and have them replace the valves and resurface the head for u. If your block is ok I don't see the problem.

em1civicsi

5+ Year Member
Seriously I'm confused here. Sell the damn block and pick up a new b16 head, a felpro head gasket kit or oem gaskets if you have the cash, look up a head gasket replacement guide on honda-tech or sumthin and put that s*** together if your block is fine and ur head is all thats messed up. Or if it's not too bad you can just take it to a machine shop and have them replace the valves and resurface the head for u. If your block is ok I don't see the problem.
Why are you confused, it's really not that hard to figure out what my problem is.

Thanks for you help...I'm selling the block I bought, returning my car back home and going to figure out a SMART way to handle this situation, because I can admit that I took this approach a bad way and I will fix my mistakes.

MistahJuice

100% real juice
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Good, glad you got your money back. Assuming your block and pistons are fine just pull the head off this weekend and find a good local automotive machine shop and take it there to get it inspected. You've been hasty before but U don't seem like an unintelligent dude so I believe if you can get your head fixed/replaced you'll be able to follow the DIY's and put that thing back together yourself. Of course you seem to have some cash so if you just find a better mechanic that should work too. Keep u updated.

RonJ

Banned
Good, glad you got your money back. Assuming your block and pistons are fine just pull the head off this weekend and find a good local automotive machine shop and take it there to get it inspected. You've been hasty before but U don't seem like an unintelligent dude so I believe if you can get your head fixed/replaced you'll be able to follow the DIY's and put that thing back together yourself. Of course you seem to have some cash so if you just find a better mechanic that should work too. Keep u updated.
Before he pulls anything apart, he needs to compression test all four cylinders and, if a bad cylinder is found, then a cylinder leak down test is needed to see where compression is lost (=identify problem).

OP -- If possible, do the compression and leak down tests before returning the block, unless you feel that the guy won't give you a refund for the block if you wait any longer.

em1civicsi

5+ Year Member
Thanks man =) I appreciate it!!!!!!

Will update you guys with a better plan of action =)

Oh and I made money because I sold my bride seats with my takata harness just to make some money :(

em1civicsi

5+ Year Member
Before he pulls anything apart, he needs to compression test all four cylinders and, if a bad cylinder is found, then a cylinder leak down test is needed to see where compression is lost (=identify problem).

OP -- If possible, do the compression and leak down tests before returning the block, unless you feel that the guy won't give you a refund for the block if you wait any longer.
I did do the compression test, cylinder 3 is not reading on the gauge, it shows '0'. But mechanic doesn't know what a leak down test is, lame lol.

MistahJuice

100% real juice
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Ah I only read the begining of the thread and figured the leakdown test was already done. Yeah OP just listen to RonJ. He knows whats up.

Sonic ej1

Quick fix. Buy a b20 swap. 600 max. Slap your tranny on and have fun with that torque , turbo later and have a ball.
Dont lose or get rid of your harness , keep your b16 post mount.
Keep your b16 head for later.