Baffling Engine Problem When Reaching Operating Temperature

bashea

'97 Civic DX - D16Y7 - 155,000 miles

When my engine is cold, it starts right up, idles smoothly, and runs great on the highway. However, as soon as it warms up to operating temperature it starts to bog down and run rough. This happens in the 55-65 MPH range. Then fumes start seeping inside the car that smell is like the inside of the valve cover (part fuel, part oil, part exhaust). At a stop light, the idle is very low and rough, and sometimes the engine stalls, and takes a while to restart.

And then sometimes, both on the highway or idling at a stop, the problem will suddenly stop, and it will run smooth for a little while, but then the problem eventually returns.

The other day I went to the store and when I came out it would not start. It took a half hour of cranking to finally get it going, it ran really rough, and would stall if I took my foot off the accelerator. I barely got it home.

It seems to have something to do with the warming of the engine.

I've taken it to 3 mechanics, and spent over $2,000 on a catalytic convertor, distributor assembly, plugs, wires, and a fuel filter, but nothing has solved the problem. They said nothing showed on the diagnostics.

I need your help. I'm currently out of work taking care of my mom who had a stroke, and I can't spend money on things that won't fix the problem.

A former BMW mechanic friend suggested cleaning or replacing the Idle Air Control Valve. Or could it be a temperature sensor issue? What do you guys think?

Rusty2g

Hi. I just registered here and read your problem. My 99 civic had a problem with it flooding, which kinda sounds like that may be your problem. An way to easy check this, is to locate the fuel pressure regulator, it is next to the throttle body, near the rail injectors. it's a round diaphragm looking piece about the size of a silver dollar. It has a small vac hose on top and one on the bottom. Pull off the hose on top and run your car to see if this solves the problem. If it does, it's only about $60 bucks for a new one. It could also be the one or both vac hoses are cracked, so check for that too.

bashea

UPDATE:

Cold engine starts right up and idles smoothly. I let it idle until it warms up to operating temperature. Still runs fine. I turn the engine off, try to restart it...it won't start. It just turns and turns and turns.

Removed and cleaned the Idle Air Control Valve - a real pain in the ass. Waste of time. Nothing improved.

Also, a friend pulled the dip stick and said it smelled like the oil had gas in it. What the hell?!

HEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEELP!

Rusty2g: I'll try your recommendation. Thanks for your input.