bass boosted EJ

EJaudiophile

Respected
Alright here it is my first build log. Recently I aquired my first car a virgin 1996 civic dx coupe with just under 140k and a glove box full of maintenance records the only downside is that it's an automatic. Given that I decided the best way to proceed would be to focus mainly on audio and visual aspect Along with fixing the few mechanical problems the car has.
note. This will be a fairly slow build since I'm only working part time and starting school in the spring but I'll try and keep steadily updating.

To do List
.fix driver side window
.fix ac
.repair damage to rear quarter panel
.mugen front lip
.Rear lip haven't decided which
.color match trim
.HID conversion
.50 50 taillights
.si rear wing
.Subs probably 2 10s and a 12
.replace front door speakerstwhile with component system
.rear deck speakers
.rims probably 16
.custom interior lighting
.indiglow cluster
.headers back exhaust system
.intake
.lower
this list will probably grow as I go on but for now this is all I have planned

HeX

Authoritah, respected.
Staff member
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Congrats on finding a bone stock coupe. What brands do you plan to use for the audio equipment?

EJaudiophile

Respected
I'm planning on infinity for the mids and highs and probably Rockford Fosgate for the subs since I already have a Fosgate amp lying around and I just installed a kenwood Bluetooth head unit today

HeX

Authoritah, respected.
Staff member
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Not bad. Your one amp can power 3 subs?

EJaudiophile

Respected
Idk but it will work for my purposes for now. Might have to move up to 2 later on but as of right now It only needs to power 1 kicker 10

HeX

Authoritah, respected.
Staff member
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Ah, ok. Its a progressive system build.

mc360

boosted hx
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Amps are not to expensive depending on brand, I bought a 4000 watt power acoustic for like 200$. That would probably be more than enough for two 10" and a 12"

EJaudiophile

Respected
So it turns out that while installing the head unit I messed up on installing the cage and now the head unit is jammed inside the radio bezel. Has anyone had this happen or know a way to remove the whole bezel in order to get to the back of the radio.

HeX

Authoritah, respected.
Staff member
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
So it turns out that while installing the head unit I messed up on installing the cage and now the head unit is jammed inside the radio bezel. Has anyone had this happen or know a way to remove the whole bezel in order to get to the back of the radio.
That sucks about the amp being blown. If funds are still an issue, I suggest you consider hunting down old Alpine amps. Theyre incredibly durable and reliable.

As for the headunit cage, its my experience that they can get stuck when the side clips on the cage get somehow hung up on the radio frame from something being bent. Are you using the cage release keys or something else? If so, post a pic because I dont recall the shape of kenwoods release keys.

EJaudiophile

Respected
Just a Little update I managed to get the head unit unstuck and got the wires all hooked up on that end just gotta run the audio and amp turn on wires then I'm ready to go

HeX

Authoritah, respected.
Staff member
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Were you able to figure out how the head unit got caught up?

HeX

Authoritah, respected.
Staff member
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Yea I had it on upside down lol
Ha! Its funny what we sometimes do. Man, give it a little cleaning before posting some pics.

I had to google what that "Trap and Bass" sticker meant. I had no idea that type of song had aits own genre. Man, this generation is really making me feel much older. :smackself

EJaudiophile

Respected
well it looks like another problem has surfaced and this one's a little bit more serious than a stuck head unit when I got into the car to go to work today I noticed that it was revving all over the place while in park it doesn't do it in any other gear just in park. Not sure what the problem is buy hopefully it just needs a tune up

HeX

Authoritah, respected.
Staff member
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
If its only in park then its likely just a tune-up issue, so dont worry too much. Any CEL codes yet?

HeX

Authoritah, respected.
Staff member
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
A brief bit of research on both codes coinciding seems to point at an O2 sensor issue and possibly the catalytic. Inspect both sources. If its the O2, replace it with OEM (NTK brand) part and not a Bosch O2 sensor.