battery light fainly on help!!

steve.21

Ok, so here is the problem. yesterday i was driving and the lights will flicker when i was at a stop. When ever i would hit the gas, all the lights will go extremely faint. it was like driving at night with only the parking lights on. Last time it did that the alternator gave out. So, i went to autozone and had the alternator tested and it passed but they gave me a new (refurbished). so i put that on and the battery light was faintly on. I had the battery tested and it was perfectly good. but the lights are no longer flickering or dieing out on me. A few buddys say to change the negative terminal. I have been driving the car around hoping it will turn off but its still just faint. its just weird that the light only came on after the 2nd alternator. But i am having the alternator tested again tomorrow, and the battery is fine. Any ideas?

95 modified

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
How old is the starter? If your negative terminal doesn't tighten up then Change it.

speedygonzales

Royal Member ~ RonJ
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
also check your grounds. if any of them are loose or dirty clean them up and tighten them.

JohnS.

BANGARANG
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Definitely check the terminals. Make sure they're on tight. Mine are getting to the point where tightening the bolt doesn't keep them on securely. The circular part on the terminal (still factory terminals) have cracked and are slowly coming apart.

My car would randomly cut out for a split second while driving or the lights would come on faintly when trying to start it and the car wouldn't start. I put aluminum foil around the battery posts temporarily for now.

steve.21

My terminals are flipped upside down right now so they would stay on but fully making contact and are tight. they were that way before the alternator change. All the grounds that i found were relatively clean but i cleaned them up more. And the new alternator ran perfectly in the car and passed every test at low and high rpms. the starter is stock still but tested perfect along with the whole charging system. i had it tested at two places and the numbers are the same. Could it be a sign of a fuse about to go? And thanks for all your ideas and time.

steve.21

here is a picture of it. the parking brake is the normal brightness for a comparison. The light fully comes on when the key is in the ignition, but the engine is not started.

Last edited: