Best brand for fluids (brake/transmission/coolant/washer)?

SidCivic

5+ Year Member
Hi Civic Friends!

I have a 2015 Honda Civic LX Sedan CVT Automatic 1.8 Liter 4 cyclinder, live in sunny San Diego, California, and drive 80% highway miles. I know the owner's manual lists recommended fluids. I also know that sometimes other brands are better than the OEM recommendations, like with motor oil for example. I was thinking of Amsoil for these fluids, but wanted some feedback first.

What type/brand do you recommend for the following:

1. Brake/Clutch Fluid? *OEM Honda Heavy Duty Brake Fluid DOT 3
2. Auto Transmission Fluid for CVT engine? *OEM HCF-2
3. Engine Coolant? *OEM Honda Long-Life Antifreeze/Coolant Type 2 50/50 Mix
4. Windshield Washer Fluid? *No OEM recommendation

Sorry for any silly questions. First new Honda and trying to treat it right. Thanks for your help!

XpL0d3r

I had a Civic once.
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
I'd stick with OEM Honda. I use Amsoil for my MTF but with a brand new car, I'd stick with OEM.

As for wiper fluid, it doesn't really matter.

XpL0d3r

I had a Civic once.
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
No problem! PS if you ever get rain down there I would recommend RainX wiper fluid :lol:

lethal6

Your Mom's Moderator
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
No problem! PS if you ever get rain down there I would recommend RainX wipe fluid :lol:
First time I have ever disagreed with you on something. I hate that RainX fluid. It smears like crazy and causes a haze if god forbid you ever put any other kind of fluid in there and they inevitably mix together.

Matter of fact, I can't stand that RainX coating either. I started using Aquapel 15 years ago and have never looked back. Basically have just water in my reservoir now (except in the winter, I throw in some stuff from work so it won't freeze over) and with Aquapel, it just wipes the crud and bugs right off, it doesn't really allow them to stick. Then again, my car really doesn't get a chance to get dirty enough to need heavy stuff to clean it. The Aquapel lasts a hell of a lot longer too and doesn't start to smear and leave a film when it begins to fade. /rant

XpL0d3r

I had a Civic once.
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
First time I have ever disagreed with you on something. I hate that RainX fluid. It smears like crazy and causes a haze if god forbid you ever put any other kind of fluid in there and they inevitably mix together.

Matter of fact, I can't stand that RainX coating either. I started using Aquapel 15 years ago and have never looked back. Basically have just water in my reservoir now (except in the winter, I throw in some stuff from work so it won't freeze over) and with Aquapel, it just wipes the crud and bugs right off, it doesn't really allow them to stick. Then again, my car really doesn't get a chance to get dirty enough to need heavy stuff to clean it. The Aquapel lasts a hell of a lot longer too and doesn't start to smear and leave a film when it begins to fade. /rant
Haha, I don't use RainX myself, I was just amazed by it every time I rode in my buddies bimmer when it was raining. Did not know it smeared and hazed though! @SidCivic I retract my previous RainX statement.

ps1man5189

5+ Year Member
Washer fluid does matter if you want to clog the lines and ruin the washer pump and plastic. Rain x is garbage. Check this stuff out called P21S it's quality stuff. You mix it yourself. I personally mix it with distilled water and the windshield no matter what comes out crystal clear. Go look it up and read about it let me know.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dancam

Registered VIP
Staying with oem fluids is a safe bet. Unless they have cvt issues like nissan or something. (I have no idea if hondas do, you would have to look and see what the common problems of your generation are)
If it were me i would use amsoil engine oil and cvt fluid. Changing the cvt fluid at regular intervals and going with the normal service oil change interval from honda or perhaps a bit longer depending on what you drive.
However there isnt really a beat fluid. They all can make an engine/ trans last longer than the body if they are changed on time and used within the perimeters of what they are meant for. Synthetic oil will give you a longer drain interval than conventional. Changing cheap conventional oil on time and driving the car easy could get you 800,000miles. But if your racing, towing, starting in -40, doing extended drains you want synthetic. Otherwise if your being good to your car oem fluids are more than good enough.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk