Best budget friendly swap

countrycarni

Im a broke guy this d16y7 is slow I know B series are strong but what's everyone's opinion this civic already has vitara forged piston and forged EBay rods from previous owner

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Drakon543

Budget friendly power upgrades beyond intake exhaust and a tune that make any real noticeable gains just don't happen. Engine swaps, turbo, or just pushing the engine to it's n/a peak can cost a lot. You could buy another faster car cheaper than it would cost to do anything else correctly. Plenty of ways to cut the cost on some of the big upgrades but your either cutting corners or using low quality parts that could cost you more than just doing it right the first time.

blandsarcasm

Respected
Registered VIP
Do you know the compression ratio of the motor now? If you're forged now you might as well boost it if the compression isn't too high. Single cam na power just isn't worth it imo. B swaps (Gsr or lsv) aren't that expensive either and are super simple. You just have to make sure you get a healthy swap so you can just drop it in and go

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

countrycarni

Do you know the compression ratio of the motor now? If you're forged now you might as well boost it if the compression isn't too high. Single cam na power just isn't worth it imo. B swaps (Gsr or lsv) aren't that expensive either and are super simple. You just have to make sure you get a healthy swap so you can just drop it in and go

No I haven't checked the compression yet

Otto85

Your best bet for cheap power upgrades would be to find a beat up donor car that runs good and swap it

Sent from my LG-LS997 using Tapatalk

countrycarni

At 31 years old, you should be making sound financial decisions.

step 1) Work hard and save a few thousand dollars.
step 2) Decide how much of your hard earned, saved money you want to spend on an old Civic.
I'm disabled bud

countrycarni

I found a guy with a k24 harness and ecu for 700 but I don't know much about k series other than they are pricey

blandsarcasm

Respected
Registered VIP
No ass hole I like racing

I'm not trying to be an a*****e but it's obvious you have a lot of research to do before you can even weigh your options. Everyone's going to give you a dif answer but you need to know what it takes to make one of these cars fast before you even get into anything. Being broke and building a racecar don't go hand in hand especially when you're talking about k series trust me. Read up

Mr.Baker

Mr. Search
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
When you don't have money, your priority should be caring for your children, paying the rent, and buying food. Racing comes after you have a good paying job and can support yourself.
You beat me to it.
This is why you see poorly modified Hondas', usually broke Honduh kids, playing Paul Walker, working at Autozone, living in their parents house, while complaining how they have no money to modify their Honda, and still need to find money to pay child support.

blandsarcasm

Respected
Registered VIP
You beat me to it.
This is why you see poorly modified Hondas', usually broke Honduh kids, playing Paul Walker, working at Autozone, living in their parents house, while complaining how they have no money to modify their Honda, and still need to find money to pay child support.
Hahahaha hit the nail on the head for 99% of the hondas in my area

sycokid666

Respected
Yeah in the end it doesn't matter what way you go it's all going to burn holes in your pocket constantly sinking money into one thing or the other if it's not one thing it's always another . I'm kind of in the same boat I want to do a k swap but I do have kids and a mortgage and car payments and a ton of responsibility so It's going to be a while before I piece some stuff together . But in your case if money is tight I would worry about life first and maybe just piece together a b18c1 and boost it

countrycarni

Yeah in the end it doesn't matter what way you go it's all going to burn holes in your pocket constantly sinking money into one thing or the other if it's not one thing it's always another . I'm kind of in the same boat I want to do a k swap but I do have kids and a mortgage and car payments and a ton of responsibility so It's going to be a while before I piece some stuff together . But in your case if money is tight I would worry about life first and maybe just piece together a b18c1 and boost it

Yeah I work for my self my bills are always first but I street race I got out of it for a while cause my last car slung 2 rods

sycokid666

Respected
If you not in a rush , just search craigslist everyday either for a cheap donor car or parts and piece some stuff together , k builds are really for someone who really doesn't have a budget and if you want to try to budget a k swap then you have to be patient and really do a lot of searching for parts or that right moment for a donor car cheap , and really there isn't anything cheap all the other stuff just to get it running right in your car is where a lot of the money is spent and tuning ..

countrycarni

Well I have a built 04 warrior 350 that a guy offered me a k24 for with harness but I still need trans and mounts

sycokid666

Respected
A k24a2 would be the only k24 I would look for . If you have your heart set on a Kswap I would maybe sell your car and get something that already is set up for K half the work is done then you can worry about building up or maybe even look for a eg hatch or crx with a b16 and boost it . What about an H22 swap ? Or even a Jswap

blandsarcasm

Respected
Registered VIP
You "street race" but you don't know anything about building a car? K swap needs a lot more than just a motor, trans, and mounts. You need to actually read up before you get yourself into anything

blandsarcasm

Respected
Registered VIP
A k24a2 would be the only k24 I would look for . If you have your heart set on a Kswap I would maybe sell your car and get something that already is set up for K half the work is done then you can worry about building up or maybe even look for a eg hatch or crx with a b16 and boost it . What about an H22 swap ? Or even a Jswap

This was my next question. Do you even know which k24 the guy has? There's a few and they're all different. Tsx k24a2 from an 06-08 is the best of the bunch but also can cost triple what a crv longblock would. Which one you go for would depend on your goals and how much you want to tear into the internals. There's endless possibilities but if you have no clue about any of it then you're better off buying someone else's project. And if you're a broke guy then a k swap is out of you're realm sorry

sycokid666

Respected
This was my next question. Do you even know which k24 the guy has? There's a few and they're all different. Tsx k24a2 from an 06-08 is the best of the bunch but also can cost triple what a crv longblock would. Which one you go for would depend on your goals and how much you want to tear into the internals. There's endless possibilities but if you have no clue about any of it then you're better off buying someone else's project. And if you're a broke guy then a k swap is out of you're realm sorry

Exactly couldn't of said it better my self . And honestly if your going to do it you might as well do it right the first time . All honesty there really isn't a too "budget friendly" swap if you really don't have a budget. You really need to sit down and research I mean research the s**t out every different type of motors /combo's and like this dude said depending on what kind of goals you're trying to reach put a pen and pencil to it and weigh out your options see what would be the best for you and your budget.