best ecu for me?

TippinOver

reppin the 2StockCrew
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
hi all

so i'm building my engine up, i'm sticking with a sohc (ahh...nostalgia...) d16y7. i plan on adding bigger fuel injectors, say from a civic ex or maybe a b16

what ecu could i use to take more advantage of the engine? would there be one, say, that i could plug in for better fuel maps, etc?

thinking of chipping a p0 (92-95 civic cx-dx. heard that they were tunable, and i couldnt use a p28 due to my y7 not having vtec)

as for my build as of yet

d16y7 head
port and polish
valve job
upgraded valves, springs, retailers
stage 2 cam
soon:dump bigger injectors
polish tb and intake mani
bigger spark plug wires

what is your suggestions? i have asked numerous people, and they haven't been too helpful at all. they seem to send me in circles....

thanks!

Handlebars

None Taken.
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
1. all obd1 and 2 civics and integras use 240cc saturated injectors. so 'upgrading' to ex or whatever injectors isnt an upgrade- they are exactly the same thing.
2. you can use any obd1 ecu, if its socketed correctly and you use a program like crome or uberdata that allows you to disable vtec, you wont have any problem with a vtec ecu.
3. a custom tune by a good tuner will make power on any motor. for your setup, a dyno tune will gain you some hp, but just swapping out another ecu will not.

TippinOver

reppin the 2StockCrew
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
cool

i was told that a y7 injector only flows 190cc, vs the 240cc ones... that correct?

kilas4doorsleep

all wide and outside
5+ Year Member
Where did you get ur cam from ive been lookin for a y7 aftermarket cam for like 2 months now and couldnt find s**t. actually where did you get all the internals for ur y7 head.

vandynamics

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Handlebars said:
1. all obd1 and 2 civics and integras use 240cc saturated injectors. so 'upgrading' to ex or whatever injectors isnt an upgrade- they are exactly the same thing.
2. you can use any obd1 ecu, if its socketed correctly and you use a program like crome or uberdata that allows you to disable vtec, you wont have any problem with a vtec ecu.
3. a custom tune by a good tuner will make power on any motor. for your setup, a dyno tune will gain you some hp, but just swapping out another ecu will not.
1. mike you are wrong. d16y7's have smaller injectors. 180cc. for some odd reason the ex models and others came with 240's. running the 240's would not hurt though, honda must have figured 180cc injectors were sufficient

92-95 civics are all 235 and 96-00 ex/si are 240

2. by the time hes chipped, it would be pointless to run a vtec low cam map. actually tuning would be much more practical and yeild better results.

3. bingo

edit: typos

Last edited:

vandynamics

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
kilas4doorsleep said:
Where did you get ur cam from ive been lookin for a y7 aftermarket cam for like 2 months now and couldnt find s**t. actually where did you get all the internals for ur y7 head.
delta regrind. sohc non-vtec cam of choice.

stealthy

4 Doors For More Whores
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
i have an ecu for you, also injectors......PM me bc your inbox is full! =)

Steven.

Formally Green 91
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Y7 motors use 190cc injectors, not 240cc.

vandynamics

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Green 91 said:
Y7 motors use 190cc injectors, not 240cc.
post 5:
oilpool said:
1. mike you are wrong. d16y7's have smaller injectors. 180cc. for some odd reason the ex models and others came with 240's. running the 240's would not hurt though, honda must have figured 180cc injectors were sufficient

92-95 civics are all 235 and 96-00 ex/si are 240