Best Engine swap

ch3ch3

Ch3Ch3
i am not racing where its harmful that is exciting but ultimalty dangerous i however do want to race on a track we have here in sc for street racing cars its very fun an safe no ppl n harms way and i like the cars themselves more than anything i would like to learn more about building engines and what not but it seems so advanced and quick question what psi and how does it work noob rememba lol

WalkingComplex

Stock As All Hell
Registered VIP
more psi(pounds per square inch of air) means more compressed air being entered into the cylinder which also means hotter air and more power.

No street racing, I did once, almost hit a kid, worst experience of my life.

vjf915

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
Oh snap, I didnt see the "street racing" comment. Yea dude seriously, take it to the track. Street racers are useless, nobody needs them. I dont care if a street racer hurts himself, but I do care if he hurts an innocent bystander. Thats bullshit, take it to the track.

2NRSTV

Team Exile/ADO Garage
Registered VIP
The greatest edge you can have over your opponent is skill.

Example: 450HP Supercharged Mustang SVT Cobra vs. 120HP 1990 1.6L Mazda Miata.
Cobra stuttered off the line almost stalling losing the race.
Same guy also shifted from 2nd to Reverse mid-race in another race.

But parts wise, get a port and polish of the head. Bigger Throttle Body. Port match the manifolds. Anything that can move as much air in and out of your engine. It's all about volumetric efficiency. Also, a good thing to have, especially if you are turbo, is a really good intercooler and a Intercooler Sprayer. The lower you can keep the intake air, the denser it will be. Denser air means more oxygen; more oxygen means hotter flame.

PS. The turbo whistler is God's gift to the tuning world. JK.

ch3ch3

Ch3Ch3
but i saw where 2NRSTV said supin about 16psi den 25psi how do you control how much psi? how does dat work? i wanna post pic of my civic soon gonna be gettin work done soon thnx for all ur help

2NRSTV

Team Exile/ADO Garage
Registered VIP
It can be changed by either changing out the wastegate (the part of the turbo system that controls its boost psi) or, in the case of the Civic I mentioned, by an external boost controller. You can up boost by simply turning a dial or pressing a button. But for the Civic that had the 16psi street tune and the 25psi race tune, it also ran off 2 different ECU maps for each.

Yeah, post pics. I always like seeing new member cars.

Edit: yeah, don't get the turbo whistler. I was kidding. It doesn't even sound like a turbo. It sounds like poo poo in your exhaust.

ch3ch3

Ch3Ch3
gotcha may run in to new questions in the future but thats good for engine swap thnx everyone for all the knowledge and ill diff put up pics soon anyone know how many u can post? is there a limit ciz id like to post it plainly now and den a pic for every upgrade kinda like a rags to riches for civics :D

WalkingComplex

Stock As All Hell
Registered VIP
np. theres no number of pix limits, just the size, not too big and not too small. post it in the members section though, not here.

NOFX

I'm NOT eran!
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
i am not racing where its harmful that is exciting but ultimalty dangerous i however do want to race on a track we have here in sc for street racing cars its very fun an safe no ppl n harms way and i like the cars themselves more than anything i would like to learn more about building engines and what not but it seems so advanced and quick question what psi and how does it work noob rememba lol
Start reading!

Online, the library, the book store. I buy shelves to keep all my car books and manuals on. =) You can even find good books in used stores, like antique stores.

Today I found a Fix Your Ford book for older models from 1966 for $14.50, a 1979 Civic CVCC owners's manual for $10 and an 1947-1954 Chevy Truck Factory Assembly manual for $15 all in a local antique store. Pretty cheap for what it is, but I'll be able to learn a little about some of the older systems that I'm not so familiar with. Plus the Chevy book is a gift for a friend who loves old Chevrolet pickups. =)

Books and good posts online can really help you learn. I suggest you pick up a shop manual from Honda too. It goes over everything in your car that you'd ever want to disassemble or fix. It's not like the cheap Haynes and Chiltons manuals that only touch on a little bit. The paper manuals are better than the PDF versions you can find online imo because you can bring the book with you. A laptop in a garage can be an accident waiting to happen.

You never mentioned your age. Do you have a job? Your engine choice is going to rely heavily on your spending limit.

ch3ch3

Ch3Ch3
im 21 a college student at hgtc in conway sc studying surgical tech i work part time drivin a dump truck lol im a cdl A driver i have respect for the road perviously i work for budwiser full time but got a chance to go to school and chose that path so im not doomed to sit in a truck my whole life not that anythings wrong with that i make decent money and diff enough 2 do things cuz im engaged we have an apt and double income the usa system is really develope for two its hard on a single person home

2NRSTV

Team Exile/ADO Garage
Registered VIP
Dang! A dump truck?!?! Only car's that I'm comfortable in are my Civic, because it's small and my S2000, because I there are no blind spots. One time I tried driving a minivan and almost killed myself.

2NRSTV

Team Exile/ADO Garage
Registered VIP
Yeah, they call the minivan "The Screaming Metal Death Trap" when I drive it.

VSP

Just hand me the wrench.
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
2NRSTV, thanks for the great info. Always enjoy reading your stuff.

vjf915

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
I enjoyed reading your posts too. But OP you have to understand that he wont always be here to give you massive amounts of information like he just did. You are going to have to learn how to research and decide things yourself. There is a search function for the forums, almost any question you have has likely already been answered.

evilrilla2

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
I live in CA, and the emissions over here a strict, it really sux. If your going to do an engine swap be sure to pass it through the state referee. once it passes you have a legally swapped engine =) good luck passing emissions though.