Best Headers for Ground Clearance?

5SpeedEJ6

Respected
Registered VIP
Hello ClubCivic, I'm wondering if anyone is running a better set up that I am right now in terms of headers and ground clearance. I have a 4-2-1 Megan Headers on my D16Y7, and even though they don't hang super low, I feel like there might be a better header choice out there with better ground clearance. Reason I'm asking (might be obvious) is because I'm trying to figure out the best set up to run next car season so I won't break my exhaust off like a couple of months ago on. I guess I'll include some pics of my current header (this are old pics, but prove the point).
Any inputs appreciated. Oh and please don't remind me I have an oil leak (currently working on it) or tell me to raise my car, thanks in advance.

HeX

Authoritah, respected.
Staff member
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I know MagnaFlows fit great. I believe DC headers fit well too. My concern for you is that your exhaust doesnt look low from those angles. The fact that your oil pan also has scuff marks makes me think your suspension may be the issue instead.

What springs & struts do you have? Could they be worn? Are the springs cut?

5SpeedEJ6

Respected
Registered VIP
I know MagnaFlows fit great. I believe DC headers fit well too. My concern for you is that your exhaust doesnt look low from those angles. The fact that your oil pan also has scuff marks makes me think your suspension may be the issue instead.

What springs & struts do you have? Could they be worn? Are the springs cut?
Thanks for the concern but they basically brand new D2 Super Low full bodied coilovers 14k front and 8.5k rear. They have been on the car for a couple of months only, ride great and have adjusting of dampening.

Thanks for the concern but they basically brand new D2 Super Low full bodied coilovers 14k front and 8.5k rear. They have been on the car for a couple of months only, ride great and have adjusting of dampening.
Sorry that came out kind of rude, I didn't mean to. Thanks for the input.

Last edited by a moderator:

HeX

Authoritah, respected.
Staff member
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I would suggest you adjust them until the oil pan isnt rubbing on the floor. I dont think you want to risk an oil pan gash then spray oil all over the road like Mario Kart. You wobt get any coins for that but itll definitely cost you several.

5SpeedEJ6

Respected
Registered VIP
if you was turbo'd i would say do a side pipe,bumper exit. thats what i'm planing to do with my
Yea well my car would sound nasty since it's a crappy D16Y7 in there. I guess I'll just keep breaking headers and replacing 'em lol. I might try a different brand.

Diana Nam

Respected
Registered VIP
i forgot which brand but there was a brand that made the headers closer to the to the motor

5SpeedEJ6

Respected
Registered VIP
i forgot which brand but there was a brand that made the headers closer to the to the motor
Well the interesting thing about my Megan headers is that (being a 4-2-1) one of the pipes wraps around the motor PERFECT, and stays intact (the one on the left in the picture). The right pipe hands a substantial amount lower, which scrapes a lot lol. I'm trying to see if there is a set up that runs both parallel and at the SAME height.

Diana Nam

Respected
Registered VIP
maybe bisimoto header??

his doesn't have 2 pipes like that 4-1 desgin and all the 4 runners merge at the collector thats placed right above the pan and has single pipe connected to that

Last edited by a moderator:

HeX

Authoritah, respected.
Staff member
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Sorry that came out kind of rude, I didn't mean to. Thanks for the input.
I didnt think it was rude at all. It just sounds straight forward like I tend to be, but thats why some fools think Im smug. I appreciate concern nonetheless.

Last edited:

5SpeedEJ6

Respected
Registered VIP
his doesn't have 2 pipes like that 4-1 desgin and all the 4 runners merge at the collector thats placed right above the pan and has single pipe connected to that
yeah but for something that I'm going to end up breaking/replacing often I wouldn't spend that kind of money lol. And here's a different theory. All I gotta do is find a 4-1 header that wraps around the engine as nice and tight as the left pipe on my current headers. Or better yet a 4-2-1 that wrap around evenly and tightly around the engine.

Well on the other hand this topic is going to just be a research one for a while, until I figure out my other project which is more important (shortened oil pan/oil pan guard).

Restotech

Respected
My opinion would be to find a local shop with a tig welder and experience in building headers to modify a new set of headers for you. Usually cutting the down pipe at the collector and shortening a little will tuck it closer to the pan. Unfortunately not a cheap solution at 75-100 an hour and probably 2-4 hours for the fab work.

5SpeedEJ6

Respected
Registered VIP
My opinion would be to find a local shop with a tig welder and experience in building headers to modify a new set of headers for you. Usually cutting the down pipe at the collector and shortening a little will tuck it closer to the pan. Unfortunately not a cheap solution at 75-100 an hour and probably 2-4 hours for the fab work.
This is a pretty good choice actually. Only thing that concerns me is whether that weld job is going to withstand how hard I smash my headers every now and then lol. But it's a good idea, thanks for the input.

Restotech

Respected
This is a pretty good choice actually. Only thing that concerns me is whether that weld job is going to withstand how hard I smash my headers every now and then lol. But it's a good idea, thanks for the input.
If they are tucked nice and tight, you will hit the oil pan before the headers. Not that it is a good thing. A proper weld job will be plenty strong but finding someone with the ability is another job in itself.

5SpeedEJ6

Respected
Registered VIP
If they are tucked nice and tight, you will hit the oil pan before the headers. Not that it is a good thing. A proper weld job will be plenty strong but finding someone with the ability is another job in itself.
I doubt a weld job is as strong as an unmolested metal. From my studies I understood that welding because of the high temperature sometimes can weaken the property of the metal itself. On a different note I already got some plausible plans for the oil pan itself lol. I might post some ideas later but they might get bashed on since people are function > form instead of the other way around lol.

Restotech

Respected
Understandable. There is some bashing on here. However keep in mind to build the headers they are welded. This is how I'll do mine. A cheaper not as good option involve a lift, screw jacks and a torch with a rose bud tip. You can also achieve better clearance this way although the pipes may not be completely round when done. Beyond that is custom built stainless which the cost will exceed the value of the final product.

5SpeedEJ6

Respected
Registered VIP
Understandable. There is some bashing on here. However keep in mind to build the headers they are welded. This is how I'll do mine. A cheaper not as good option involve a lift, screw jacks and a torch with a rose bud tip. You can also achieve better clearance this way although the pipes may not be completely round when done. Beyond that is custom built stainless which the cost will exceed the value of the final product.
My point exactly. When I broke my exhaust it was where the pipe was welded to the flange (I think that's what it's called?). And I mean if I had the experience and machines it would be dope to do stainless lol.
On a side note at least the bashing on this website is not even near how bad it is at Honda-Tech. They HATE stance over there.

Restotech

Respected
My point exactly. When I broke my exhaust it was where the pipe was welded to the flange (I think that's what it's called?). And I mean if I had the experience and machines it would be dope to do stainless lol.
On a side note at least the bashing on this website is not even near how bad it is at Honda-Tech. They HATE stance over there.
I'm not a stance fan myself but I can appreciate anybody's love of their car and their desire to make it what they want it to be. At this point in society, hondas are not cool anymore but that doesn't change my opinion of them. What other people like or don't like doesn't affect what I like

5SpeedEJ6

Respected
Registered VIP
I'm not a stance fan myself but I can appreciate anybody's love of their car and their desire to make it what they want it to be. At this point in society, hondas are not cool anymore but that doesn't change my opinion of them. What other people like or don't like doesn't affect what I like
We need more people like you in the car scene, and less of the stereotypical "I drive a mustang/corvette/lifted truck and I hate your Honda".

dancam

Registered VIP
Fairly simple solution actually to keep things from getting smashed. First i'd like to add that keeping your oil pan intact is probly more important than a lowered car, but your choice. Anyhow, make a belly pan/gaurd. Im not entirely familiar with your civic but there is a subframe and transmission brace right? Use them as the anchor points and just make a pan so you scrape over stuff rather than punch holes in your car. Your headers are only half your problem, that oil pan looks beat. Ripping it off your block wont be a fun repair. So make a plate and cut a hole in it for the oil and trans drains, take your oil filter out the top.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk