best mild exhaust for a SI

Cooper12

Respected
just curious on some recommendations . I want to get a mild exhaust system ( even just a muffler )
I want a nice tone without the fart can sound

HeX

Authoritah, respected.
Staff member
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
just curious on some recommendations . I want to get a mild exhaust system ( even just a muffler )
I want a nice tone without the fart can sound
Have you searched first? If so, please state your findings because this has been covered several times.

Cooper12

Respected
searched? i have been looking online and have seen numerous options but I'm wanting opinions on this. I'm trying to find something with a good tone without the resonating sound.
I'm sorry if this has been asked before but many comments I'm finding are not completely current and I'm curious what members here think. i will continue to search for similar threads as well

I'm thinking Yonaka at the moment so far seems like the nicest tone

Last edited by a moderator:

HeX

Authoritah, respected.
Staff member
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Provide details then and state what youve concluded so far. Otherwise, you.just cone off as another member who doesnt research and expects others to do it all for them. This has been asled and covered well enough several times within the last year or two, which is current, so keep searching.

Im personally against Yonakas because their most common complaint is that they rust alot within just a year or two. I believe MagnaFlow mufflers sound well with Si engines. Theres another brand or two that sound good on Hondas but I dont recall at the moment. Search through some YouTube clips as well. Ill reply if I remember those brands.

I must add that if your motor isnt modified, save money and leave the pipes alone. Just get a good quality muffler.

Cooper12

Respected
sorry if I'm coming across as a ignorant poster HeX. Im just trying to ask what people here like so i will keep searching.
probably Every aspect of the Honda Civic has been gone over numerous times soon anyways ,

I have been reading many reviews and seeing how I do not plan on doing modifications really I was curious on the muffler aspect. I was curious on the Yonakas since it is supposed to sound similar to Apex Ws2 and the whole cat back seems to be cheaper than the Apex muffler. Now keep in mind I'm in California so really nothing rusts here at least quickly and being so cheap I was thinking about it.
Im trying to find a youtube video of even something like a 60 series Flowmaster on a Civic to see how that sounds .
I just really want a nice tone that under heavy acceleration you hear a nice sound. As close to a VW VR6/R32 sound as I can and i don't want it to sound like a turkey when you take your foot off the gas like a lot of these exhausts I hear around here on 4 cylinders. I know having it sound like the VR6 is probably asking to much but in my opinion thats one of the greatest exhaust notes there is

edited to say did find a few youtube clips of the Flowmaster 60 series and sounds pretty good so may just go that route

HeX

Authoritah, respected.
Staff member
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
You don't come off ignorant at all. I actually appreciate your honesty and understanding towards my comments where others get defensive for nothing. You'll only know if someone makes a comment, which is what I'm doing. That's called learning, for the fools who like to complain.

Anyways, the 60-series FlowMaster is OK on 4 cylinder engines but a little too open of a sound for my tastes. Then again, it may sound better with the Si motor. I cant see how an Apexi muffler is more than the full kit unless it was a different grade of muffler. Make sure to price hunt on Google using the muffler part numbers.

thendi

Respected
5+ Year Member
I have a dc sport DCM4500 universal muffler and I have love the sound. The only thing I don't like is the burnt tip but I wish I spent the extra money to buy an Apexi world sport muffler (always wanted an apexi exhaust). Just YouTube for sound clips and you will find them.

HeX

Authoritah, respected.
Staff member
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I have a dc sport DCM4500 universal muffler and I have love the sound. The only thing I don't like is the burnt tip but I wish I spent the extra money to buy an Apexi world sport muffler (always wanted an apexi exhaust). Just YouTube for sound clips and you will find them.
If this is roughly what the DC Sport muffler sounds like, then its incredibly ricey. Skip over to the 40 second mark.

thendi

Respected
5+ Year Member
If this is roughly what the DC Sport muffler sounds like, then its incredibly ricey. Skip over to the 40 second mark.
My DC muffler looks like the Apexi WS, it's quiet and doesn't sound like that at all. My civic is a 4dr so I had to custom make what I wanted. If I was the OP, I would buy an Apexi WS catback system.

socal619

Respected
I have a yonaka with a dc header, and test pipe. People compliment the sound cause it doesn't sound raspy or ricey at all. I also have a stage 2 BC NA cam so it lobes a little at idle. I love the way it sounds! I've had it for 6 months no issues.

Sent from my SM-N900P using Tapatalk

5SpeedEJ6

Respected
Registered VIP
From my own research I'd personally buy a WS2. As for experience, I've had Megan headers with a MagnaFlow full exhaust (later I copped off resonator and put a pipe instead) and it was quite loud. I loved it, but it this is probably not the best fit for you. One of my friend has a Yonaka (not sure what headers) and it's not very loud. As far as if it's raspy or ricey I'm not sure. Stay AWAY from eBay crap exhausts, those are super ricey and way too loud.

socal619

Respected
WS2 is definitely the way to go if you got the cash, i just wanted something cheap to get me by and wouldn't cry if i scraped it up from being low and dailying. Plus +1 on staying away from the fart cannons, that's why i went yonaka as well.

Sent from my SM-N900P using Tapatalk

blandsarcasm

Respected
Registered VIP
I've got a strange combination of ek9 mid pipe with a vibrant streetpower muffler and it sounds pretty smooth

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5SpeedEJ6

Respected
Registered VIP
Tanabe touring medalion > apexi ws2

I've heard the Tanabe Touring Medallion on an Integra before, it's definitely louder than what OP is looking for (since it was about as loud as my Full MagnaFlow exhaust).

blandsarcasm

Respected
Registered VIP
I own one. If you're running a cat it's actually very quiet barely louder than a ws2. At the right throttle input it's almost silent but screams in the upper rpms