Best oil for D series

Ek_98civicPR

Hey guy's just wondering what's the best oil for D series engines. It's my 2nd Civic but first time changing oil on Civics. Thanks

ek forever guy

Registered VIP
It really doesn't matter as long as you change it often enough and use a quality filter.

I only use synthetic so I don't feel bad when I go 10,000 miles on an oil change.

Mobil 1 is good, Royal purple is outstanding. I've also used Castrol Syntec dino oil plenty of times too.

The bottom line is it is a Honda engine, you're not going to do anything to it unless you seriously neglect it.

97civicMan

Knucklehead h8r
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I personally use Castrol GTX and have been for years! Pretty good stuff.

Ek_98civicPR

Alright thanks guy's for sharing your opinions. I've used Castrol & Mobil 1 on my 92 Accord though. So Im going to use 10w30..? Is that fine?

ImportFan1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Alright thanks guy's for sharing your opinions. I've used Castrol & Mobil 1 on my 92 Accord though. So Im going to use 10w30..? Is that fine?
Check in the manual. Should tell you based on the region of the county you are in.

emerican

Registered VIP
I run 10w30 with no problems what so ever like mentioned above its a honda it will be fine.

Osiris19

oilBurner
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I run 10w30 with no problems what so ever like mentioned above its a honda it will be fine.
I never fully understood oil viscosity. What's the difference in 10w-30 to 5w-30 and are there any benefits over the two?

Sent from my ADR6300 using Tapatalk

James315

you can go back from sythetic to conventional depending on which brand there is ways to do it i know for a fact to swith from royal purple to conventional they recomend letting all your oil drain out and wait til its not even dripping with the filter off too and pour 1 quart of the oil your switching too through the engine with the drain plug still out to flush it out and your suposed to be good i got friend who did the switch and hes having no issues he just changed his oil after a 1000 mile for extra security.

James315

10w 30 is good down to a certain temp dont remmeber what the temp is and 5w 30 is suposed to be good for all temps

MistahJuice

100% real juice
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I never fully understood oil viscosity. What's the difference in 10w-30 to 5w-30 and are there any benefits over the two?

Sent from my ADR6300 using Tapatalk
oo oo i looked this up somewhere once. the lower number is its cold viscosity while the higher number is its warm one. basically 5w30 is better for colder weather since its first number is lower, while 10w30 can be used in warmer weather. But the 5w30 has a larger distance and therefore uses more modifiers to let it have that wide of a range and less oil basically it wouldn't matter in a well designed and maintained honda, but I guess if it starts to over heat or gets left in too long 5w30 has a bigger chance of degrading and causing carbon deposits so 10w30 is a good choice if your not in snowy weather or something. But like I said with regular oil changes and maintenance 5w30 works just fine.

MistahJuice

100% real juice
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
and ok, cuz one of my dumb friends let the dudes at jiffy lube convince him that synthetic was better than standard oil for is 1990 Honda Civic with 200,xxx miles and he ended up spending like $80 on an oil change. Not to mention the didn't tighten the filter all the way. An I was gonna have him switch back to regular or at least hondas synthetic blend and just get his oild changed at honda from now on unless he decides he wants me to teach him how to do it himself

cgpEJ6

noob
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I use Mobil 1 just for the simple fact that it's available pretty much everywhere. Most oils are going to do you just fine, the only one I would avoid is conventional Pennzoil. It protects fine but it stains more than other oils and it kind of stinks too (my experience from working in an oil change place for a year). I used 5w-30 in my Civic and 5w-20 in the Fit. I might go to 0w-20 in the Fit soon. To keep it simple, the lower the number, the thinner the oil. The thinner the oil, the easier it is to start.

TigBitties

Frame Bangin
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
i use whatever is on sale.

10w-30 isnt recommend if your temperatures go below i believe 20 degrees since it will be to thick.

just use 5w-30 and be safe. its recommend for all temps in the book, i like the autozone or where 17 dollars give or take for 5 quarts and filter. i use the extra quarts for the oil i burn

James315

and ok, cuz one of my dumb friends let the dudes at jiffy lube convince him that synthetic was better than standard oil for is 1990 Honda Civic with 200,xxx miles and he ended up spending like $80 on an oil change. Not to mention the didn't tighten the filter all the way. An I was gonna have him switch back to regular or at least hondas synthetic blend and just get his oild changed at honda from now on unless he decides he wants me to teach him how to do it himself
synthetic isnt really a great choice for high milage engines it wont cause problems well major ones it can show leaks more becasue of of the additives in it but sometimes it can slow leaks too i have seen it do both butif the engine is high milage and has always been ran with sythetic i personally wouldnt change it cause the engine might be a little cleaner on the inside which i know is not always the case but it is sometimes oil is oil pretty much as long as its changed regularly its fine if you have no oil leaks and are lazy sometimes sythetic is your best choice casue you can go longer on it but if you sont wanna spend the extra money on sythetic and keep up with your oil changes then run what ever lol sythetic seems to save you money in the long run especially if you do alot of driving simply because you can 10000 miles on most sythetics.

Failsafe88

gt CasaNova
Registered VIP
Most engine oils are all the same. Synthetics are different because of the different additives. I have a buddy who worked in an assembly limehere which packaged oils. It was the same oil different name brands.

James315

^ thats pretty much in a round about way what i was trying to say lol you just explained it better lol.