Beware buying K20/K24's.

Killa_CiViC

When Honda's Attack!
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
So... I don't work for Honda, but I'm a seasoned technician and I've noticed a lot of industry trends that are finally starting to turn around and bite OEM's in the back side.

Most important is the change from 3k and 5k oil changes to a 10k and in some cases a 15k oil change.

Now, oil companies and car manufactures will tell you that you could reasonably go 10k-15k miles between oil changes.... and most manufacturers in the U.S. have changed to a 10k or 15k mile service. Most have also moved to a light weight 0w-20 synthetic oil. So what's changed with the engines or the oil to let them go so long between oil changes? Nothing. Absolutely nothing. The move to a higher mileage oil change is purely an attempt to reduce ownership cost for people who lease vehicles, which is what dealers and manufacturers want you to do... lease, not buy.
If you lease, there's no problem... you're traded out of the cars before anything starts going wrong.
Farther down the line, the high mile oil changes are causing oil consumption problem, mostly because the rings are wearing out. What we're seeing a lot of now is both engine misfires from oil blow-by deposits on valves, and oil consumption to the point of running engines low and blowing up. You'll see on my signature I work for Lexus, but the problem is industry wide... BMW is the worst with 15k oil changes... some of their engines are blowing before lease periods are even up.

:!: So why beware when buying a K20?

Honda has also gone to higher and higher mileage oil changes. My 07 Si oil change light came on every 8k miles. My wife's '12 Fit comes on at 10k miles..... despite knowing what I know, the old saying goes, a mechanics car is the worst taken care of... we just work on cars all day long, we hate having to pull ours in at the end of a long day to change the oil.... so many times I went to the edge of the 8k mile oil change limit many times.
Every engine burns oil. The industry standard is anything below 1 quart every 1,000 miles is usually considered 'acceptable'.... still way too much in my opinion. Having owned my Si from brand new off the delivery truck, I've been able to keep track of my oil consumption over the years... she started out from new using 1 quart of oil every 3k miles.... 150,000 miles later, she's using just under 1 quart every 1,000 miles..... considering the engine takes about 4.8 quarts at each oil change, after 3,000 miles there's less than 2 quarts of oil in the oil pan.

I am not unique. And most of you are buying engines and cars used with miles on them already. I highly recommend changing your oil much sooner than recommended.
If you buy an engine and you're not sure of the mileage, pull that sucker apart and at least change the piston rings and check your oil clearances

Oil, even synthetic, is not as spectacularly great as the industry wants you to believe.... trust me, I've had my hands in many many engines with oil of many different mileages... new oil is slippery and lubricates great. Oil breaks down fast though... and although there are many sources that say it still lubricates the same after 10k miles of use as it does at 1k miles are wrong, in my professional opinion. I can barely hold on to engine parts that have had fresh oil changes... but even after 2k miles oil feels much less slippery. Screw the laboratory tests.

Knowing what I know now, I'll never again go longer than 5k miles between oil changes, or 3k miles if driving like an animal.... and you shouldn't either.

/end rant

CHILD

All Day, All JDM
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Sucks for you and your Si. My dc5, ep3, and fa5 never had issues, oil was changed regularly in the fa5 and ep3, the dc5 was changed when I felt the need since it was the only one I really beat on. Never had one instance with excessive burnt oil. All three were bought new as well as my little brothers dc5 who also has no problems and only changes oil when the service light is on.

Failsafe88

gt CasaNova
Registered VIP
My so isn't burning oil that noticeable anyymways. I change mine at around 7k miles.

Killa_CiViC

When Honda's Attack!
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
I've really abused my engine... I drive it really, really hard, 100% of the time. Carelessness on my part.... I attribute Honda's very well built engine to me not having more problems... and from what I've heard, the R18's have more oil consumption problems than the K20's... but again, I don't work for Honda, and the auto group I work for doesn't have any Honda or Acura dealerships for me to swap stories with. But the problems I've stated are wide spread, and my suggestions, entirely precautionary.

On the bright side, in my experience, if I'd been driving a Toyota, BMW, Audi/VW or Subaru like I drive my car, I'd have been on my 2nd or 3rd engine long ago ;)

And mine will be getting a full rebuild once I get the CX on the road.

Failsafe88

gt CasaNova
Registered VIP
Ehh drive a car hard the whole time bound to be problems. That's like going to a gym and hitting muscle failure everytime it's not a good idea.

Trekk

Registered VIP
I'm all for 3k Dino changes and tend to go 7k on synth. However I trust lab test on my oil more then how something feels. I'm not talking about lab test conducted by the company selling the oil. I use black stone labs every so often to see how my cars holding up. Depending on how the car was driven between oil changes, at times they have told me I could safely go another 1k miles or more on the oil. Good lab test will find part wear in your oil before it gets the the point of major engine damage.

At my dealership 90% or more just opt for the cheaper tap oil. We pretty much never see any oiling issues unless the owner has waited so long the engine sludges up. However we do keep everyone coming back at 3k for Dino and 5k for synth.

JohnS.

BANGARANG
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Speaking from personal experience.... I have a 99 civic ex with the original motor and transmission. The car is about to roll 236k. The oil has been changed every 3-5k with mobil 1 5w-30 since the day it rolled off the lot. I've seen inside the motor and its spotless with no sludge. So I'm gonna keep doing what I'm doing lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk