Bizarre OBD port connector, different from other civics i have came across...

jermo537

5+ Year Member
Whats up guys! im not new to hondas or acuras and fixing them up but i am kind of stumped here. I have a 98 civic LX 4dr 5speed with the SRS light on. Cool, do the SRS reset real quick and be done with it. Nope! did the reset a buncha times and no luck, the light is still on. So onto jumping the OBD port to find out what the codes are right...The OBD port was to the left of the steering wheels by the drivers side door of course, but this port is different from all the others i have seen. It only has 5 wires when a normal one has like 7 or more correct? According to these pics i have to jump wire #9 and #4 which i have done before and it was easy

well on my OBD port i have a wire in the #4 position but not the #9 position as you can see in the pics below...What wires do i jump to read and diagnose the SRS problems?!? Thanks!

AlaskaB16

DOING WORK!
Registered VIP
That's the OBD2 port. You need a scan reader, not a jumper. SRS problems use the SRS bright yellow connector with two wires. You can find all of this info quickly by doing a google search. With pictures no less! BONUS :thumbs up

jermo537

5+ Year Member
That's the OBD2 port. You need a scan reader, not a jumper. SRS problems use the SRS bright yellow connector with two wires. You can find all of this info quickly by doing a google search. With pictures no less! BONUS :thumbs up
say what? im guessing you have never seen this thread

http://www.civicforums.com/forums/111-electronics/319672-diy-srs-codes-reading-them.html

and the yellow connecter with 2 wires is to reset it and as i said before i have already tried that many times...thanks for you help though!

AlaskaB16

DOING WORK!
Registered VIP
Wasn't aware that would work on 98's. Seems like the thread you posted (no, I'm not on civic forums) works on 7th gen's and RSX's so maybe you'll have luck.

jermo537

5+ Year Member
Wasn't aware that would work on 98's. Seems like the thread you posted (no, I'm not on civic forums) works on 7th gen's and RSX's so maybe you'll have luck.
ive done that method on 96+ civics before, just have no idea why this OBD port is different...hence why i posted this thread lol pretty bizarre i tell ya!