Blandsarcasm's 98 ej6 daily

Teri

Respected
You have a very sweet ride . Have fun with it.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

mportedcivicsi

Respected
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Yeah, I was very please with this limited use put on the half size Koyo. So I'll be using the full size from Koyo.

blandsarcasm

Respected
Registered VIP
You have a very sweet ride . Have fun with it.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
thank you! I definitely have fun with it every day haha

Yeah, I was very please with this limited use put on the half size Koyo. So I'll be using the full size from Koyo.
thats good to hear. their prices are pretty good too. i was planning to use their full size dc2 k swap radiator when that time comes.

Im hyped to finally get the koseis on the car. im not entirely dissatisfied with the paint job and color but i would definitely like them more new in silver. they fit well with my camber settings in the rear but the +25 would be nicer all around. itr calipers fit really well too.

IMG_7552 by evan mclaren, on Flickr
IMG_7554 by evan mclaren, on Flickr
IMG_7560 by evan mclaren, on Flickr
IMG_7562 by evan mclaren, on Flickr

mportedcivicsi

Respected
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Yeah, Koyo prices are right off of Mishimoto from looking around. And Koyo is much better in my opinion. From a cooling aspect, my numbers were better with the Koyo. When I flushed the Mishimoto before install, it was like half the guts flushed out of the thing. I couldn't believe the amount of aluminum that came out. Koyo flush, nothing.

To the K1's, I think that the +25 would poke out. What you have on currently looks to sit perfect.

blandsarcasm

Respected
Registered VIP
Yeah, Koyo prices are right off of Mishimoto from looking around. And Koyo is much better in my opinion. From a cooling aspect, my numbers were better with the Koyo. When I flushed the Mishimoto before install, it was like half the guts flushed out of the thing. I couldn't believe the amount of aluminum that came out. Koyo flush, nothing.

To the K1's, I think that the +25 would poke out. What you have on currently looks to sit perfect.
Yeah I've heard plenty of stories about mishimotos poor quality including the drain magnet dislodging itself. Found mine in my thermostat. Luckily I haven't had any other problems. The wheel offset isn't bad as is but they're only 7" wide +38 so there's still some room in the fenders especially in the front. A 7"+25 should sit close to how a 8"+35 does and those are the perfect specs imo. If I were to run anything wider than a 205 on a 7"+25 I'd prob run into problems though. It's a daily so the wheels feel great as they are on the back roads I take to work haha.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mportedcivicsi

Respected
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
You might want to try and do some test fitting before you go with a +25. I've run x7, x8 and x9 up front with the most being a +35 and its flushed out. The difference is that I have run that with a 225/45. The x9 I have spaced out to +31, and it sat under a rolled OEM fender and now with a little push from the TrackLife cutouts. But it did fit under the OEM. I'd just hate for you to get into a bad position.

blandsarcasm

Respected
Registered VIP
You might want to try and do some test fitting before you go with a +25. I've run x7, x8 and x9 up front with the most being a +35 and its flushed out. The difference is that I have run that with a 225/45. The x9 I have spaced out to +31, and it sat under a rolled OEM fender and now with a little push from the TrackLife cutouts. But it did fit under the OEM. I'd just hate for you to get into a bad position.
My rear quarters wound up being pulled slightly from the rolling process so that does afford me a few mm there. Also I'm only on 205s so the sidewall is pretty squared up w almost no bulge on x7 similar to how a 225 fits on a x8. The 15x8 +25 enkeis I had definitely poked too far for a 225 and would've barely fit with a 205 but I don't want stretched tires. That's why I'd rather stick with x7 for the daily and save a purchase of x8 +35s for my integra. test fitting would be the safest thing to do before making a purchase but I'll prob just ride these for a while. I need to dump money into the other car and get it running already. I have a pair of garbage 5mm spacers that I could stack to get an idea but I need arp lugs first. Those along with a press are the next on my list of purchases.

blandsarcasm

Respected
Registered VIP
Speaking of 15x8+35 I managed to stumble across a killer deal on some wheels for the integra that I've been extremely fond of for a while...

Just need to grab a set of 225/45 for them and I'll be set for traction. Leaning towards rs3's but any recommendations are welcome

Mishimoto

Product Manufacturer
5+ Year Member
Yeah I've heard plenty of stories about mishimotos poor quality including the drain magnet dislodging itself. Found mine in my thermostat. Luckily I haven't had any other problems. The wheel offset isn't bad as is but they're only 7" wide +38 so there's still some room in the fenders especially in the front. A 7"+25 should sit close to how a 8"+35 does and those are the perfect specs imo. If I were to run anything wider than a 205 on a 7"+25 I'd prob run into problems though. It's a daily so the wheels feel great as they are on the back roads I take to work haha.

Hey Guys,

Thank you for the post.
First, I would like to apologize if you had any issues with our products. We strive to be sure we manufacture a product that will stand the test of time. We hope you had a chance to contact us in regards to your products so we could work to resolve any issues. We have a lifetime warranty and would like the opportunity to make the situation right. If you would like, please contact us at Support@Mishimoto.com and we will be happy to assist you.

Best Regards,
Mishimoto

blandsarcasm

Respected
Registered VIP
Okay so the struggle continues. for as long as i can think back, the input shaft bearing in this gsr trans has been making noise. before it was very faint but recently has gotten progressively louder of course. on top of that, for the past couple weeks ive been encountering a problem where ill clutch to shift out of either first or second gear, and with the pedal all the way to the floor the clutch still isnt fully disengaged and doesnt allow the trans to come out of gear. you can feel the clutch still dragging slightly on the flywheel and the input shaft bearing will be whining so i know that the main shaft is still spinning. it only happened intermittently and only coming out of first or second. i tried adjusting the push rod on the master a little but that had no effect so i started to a assume it was a problem with the pressure plate. this had been happening for a couple weeks so i knew i was going to have to drop the trans and investigate. then while on my way to work a few days ago all of a sudden the noise from the shaft bearing got noticeably louder and engaging into first from a stop felt rough as if something was grinding together. after work i drove the car home hoping i wasnt doing a ton of damage to the trans internally, parked it in the garage and started to tear it down. keep in mind this is the first time ive ever cracked open a trans so i really had no idea what i was getting myself into...

trans out and open..
IMG_6312 by evan mclaren, on Flickr
IMG_7628 by evan mclaren, on Flickr
IMG_7621 by evan mclaren, on Flickr
IMG_7644 by evan mclaren, on Flickr
IMG_7645 by evan mclaren, on Flickr
IMG_7646 by evan mclaren, on Flickr
IMG_7642 by evan mclaren, on Flickr

there you can see all the shrapnel that was caught by the magnet and the ISB missing the bearing cage. the next day i was able to grab a new ISB as well as the seal beneath it but that still left me with one problem. how am i supposed to get the old bearing out? without the bearing cage to keep the bearings evenly spaced, the inner race popped out incredibly easy leaving only the outer race in the trans case. with no lip or anything to pry or tap against it was impossible to remove by any means available to me. the only option i could come up with was to attempt to re assemble the bearing and tap it out from the clutch case side with a drift against the inner race. somehow i managed to get all the bearings and inner race back together and used some tiny wads of paper towel packed tightly in between each ball to keep them evenly spaced so the whole thing didnt explode again when i went to tap it out..

IMG_6330 by evan mclaren, on Flickr
IMG_6332 by evan mclaren, on Flickr
IMG_6333 by evan mclaren, on Flickr

worked like a charm! new bearing and seal in...
IMG_7648 by evan mclaren, on Flickr

gear sets and shift forks back in...
IMG_7649 by evan mclaren, on Flickr

trans sealed back up..
IMG_7650 by evan mclaren, on Flickr

blandsarcasm

Respected
Registered VIP
Nice troubleshooting!
thanks man i really wasnt sure how bad the carnage was gonna be when i opened it up. it definitely couldve been a lot worse.
Wow, this will hereby be known as "the paper towel trick", i can't believe that held !
you and me both man! i was desperate and couldnt think of any other way to do it. it was really the balls that held the inner race in there but keeping them evenly spaced was crucial. as i was tapping i could see the inner race pushing out pretty far but it just barely held on enough to pull the whole thing out in one piece.

continuing on where i left off...
when i had pulled the trans out i noticed that the pilot bearing in the flywheel was also toast. not surprising at all considering how much of a load it was supporting without the ISB there to do its job.
IMG_7651 by evan mclaren, on Flickr

as soon as i had the clutch disk off and in my hand, i realized what had been causing my problem with disengaging from first and second gear. the outer disk and the center section that housed the springs were not were not being held together tightly anymore. the rivets holding the thing together were pulling through the metal and the whole thing felt as if it was about to rattle itself to pieces.

IMG_6337 by evan mclaren, on Flickr
IMG_6339 by evan mclaren, on Flickr

im not really sure what caused this failure. im not positive if its related to the ISB failure or if it was just poor quality to begin with. im actually surprised at how smooth the engagement was in this condition. either way got a hold of the manufacturer and theyre supposedly issuing a replacement. since this is my daily and im being forced to borrow my girlfriends car to get around i cant wait a week for them to send one out so i went ahead and ordered an ACT disk from summit to get me going. shipping from them in ohio is usually only a day or two thankfully so ill be throwing this disk in with the current flywheel.
IMG_7653 by evan mclaren, on Flickr

so that brings this up to where i am now. pilot bearings replaced and flywheel is torqued down so i just need to get this clutch and pressure plate back on and get this trans back up in the car. its going to be a b***h lifting that thing back up on my own :rolf:

blandsarcasm

Respected
Registered VIP
ok so now im at a loss...
i managed to get the trans back up in and everything buttoned back up. i fire it up to try and pull it out of the garage and it wont go into gear at all. with the car off the trans goes into every gear fine but not while its running. to my understanding that points to the clutch system. with the mismatched clutch and flywheel and a throwout bearing thats not oem, somethings not working in harmony here. i was assuming the clutch wasnt fully disengaging so i tried to adjust the push rod on the master cylinder out as far as it will go but that had no effect. it literally hanging on by two threads. the pedal feels firm but theres still a little bit of dead space at the top before pressure so i bled the line. that didnt have any effect either. since i was in the garage alone i set my phone up to record the throwout fork to see if it was moving or not. it was moving pretty far with every stroke of the pedal. after trying all that i was still assuming that i needed more stroke from the clutch pedal to the slave to the throwout fork. since there was no more adjustment left on the pedal side i ghetto rigged the slave side with a washer wedged in between the slaves push rod and the throwout fork to test that theory. i had to unbolt the slave to wedge the washer in there and then re bolted it in place. i cracked the bleeder one more time just to make sure but got no air so i went ahead and fired it up. this time it went into gear. it wasnt very smooth as it felt like the shafts were still trying to spin. as soon as i let the clutch off the floor a hair it grabbed, so that makes me think the the travel between the flywheel and clutch plate is very little. every honda ive ever driven has engaged more towards the top of the travel but this was the opposite. i reversed the car out of the garage but once it was out it didnt want to go back into first or any other gear for that matter. if i held the shifter against the gate to first and just barely touched the gas it would slide into gear and let me pull it back into the garage. so now im contemplating what components to replace to try and fix this problem. an oem slave would be a good place to start i think as well as an oem throwout bearing. i noticed the master was seeping too while i was under there so that needs to be replaced as well. what im really wondering is if for some reason this ACT disk is not compatible with the action flywheel. both clutch disks appeared to be dimensionally identical although i didnt compare them side by side as i had already mailed the action back to them.

blandsarcasm

Respected
Registered VIP
ok so picking up where i left off...
Ive been continuing to have my fair share of headaches with this transmission. i discovered the cause of the issue i was having in my last post to be an over extended push rod on the clutch master causing the pressure plate to "over engage". basically if i was pushing the clutch pedal to the floor it wouldnt go into gear but if i held it about a half inch off the floor it would work perfectly. thankfully that was a simple fix and once the pedal was adjusted properly i was able to drive the car. sadly that lasted for about two days before another bearing self destructed. this time it was the big one on the end of the mainshaft that sits up in the 5th gear side of the case. so again i placed an order for some oem parts and waited while my daily sat in pieces in the garage. meanwhile ive been driving my girlfriends ej8 to work since, luckily for me, shes at college in Philly and can get by without it. because it is the nature of my life that nothing can go as smoothly as i hope, the worst possible thing could happen. I get in an accident. damp road plus semi bald tires in stop and go rush hour traffic didnt fare too well for me. if the tires werent so shitty the outcome wouldve been different but 100% my fault nonetheless. fortunately there was no damage to the van i slid into, only to the core support, hood, and drivers headlight of my girlfriends car. there was a cop about 50 feet behind us dealing with another accident that had just happened shortly before so as soon as the finished up there he rolled up to me. since there was no damage to the other vehicle, that driver and the cop both left without any police report or insurance involved so i lucked out big time in that way.

IMG_6383 by evan mclaren, on Flickr

i was able to pull the core support back out and slap a headlight and hood on so its driveable for the time being.

IMG_6386 by evan mclaren, on Flickr
IMG_6445 by evan mclaren, on Flickr

Because i felt so horrible about wrecking her car i chose to search for a replacement. after looking at 3 different craigslist cars i decided on a silver 2000 ej8 with only 105k miles.

IMG_6512 by evan mclaren, on Flickr

i test drove the car on a wednesday and it seemed to run great. picked the car up that friday and as im pulling out of the guys neighborhood i hear a slight knock. i was praying that i was either hearing s**t or something was loose but the further i got on the way home the more obvious it became. i have no idea what happened on that thursday in between the day i test drove it and the day i picked it up. either he took it out and ripped on it one last time and spun a bearing or he was hiding it somehow the whole time. either way im stuck with the car now. luckily for me i held onto the full y7 swap that i pulled from my hatch that ran great so as long as the y8 heads good its going to be a mini me swap. of course im pissed about spending 2k on a rolling shell, but at least i have the means to repair it. only thing in the way of that is my damn hatch and integra taking up the garage space. which brings me back to the hatch and that damn transmission...

IMG_7655 by evan mclaren, on Flickr
IMG_7661 by evan mclaren, on Flickr
IMG_7658 by evan mclaren, on Flickr
IMG_7663 by evan mclaren, on Flickr
IMG_7659 by evan mclaren, on Flickr

i had ordered a new mainshaft bearing as well as the pair of differential bearings to put the trans back together. they were installed, case sealed up and i come to find that the mainshaft will not rotate. completely furious and ready to throw this thing out the window, i gave it a rest for the day and returned the next day with some fresh patience. upon disassembly of the mainshaft i come to discover that the 5th gear syncro and taper ring have fused themselves together as well as damage to the 5th gear hub and slider. its obvious that the taper ring is discolored from heat and was somehow rubbing into the top of the 5th hub. i have not one clue how this happened but new parts were ordered and im currently awaiting their arrival. lets hope my luck turns around and i can get this thing functional once and for all after being down for what seems like an eternity.

oh and ive also placed several large orders for some k swap parts so i should have the ball rolling on that soon enough...

blandsarcasm

Respected
Registered VIP
Well I finally got all the parts I needed and reassembled the Gsr trans. I've driven the car a couple times in the past few days and everything seems good thankfully. My fingers are crossed that my headaches are over with that. While it was down I came across a deal I couldn't pass up on a pair of red recaros that I'll be throwing into the integra and therefore donating the black ones to the civic. I had also recently picked up a pair of fairly clean del sol seats that I've been running but i guess I'll just be selling those asap. I also purchased a used pair of function 7 control arms with the subframe brace to match so I can finally trash the crappy godspeeds that came on the car.

The parts I've ordered for the k swap have finally started to roll in. Opening the giant box from jhpusa was like Christmas haha.