Blandsarcasm's 98 ej6 daily

blandsarcasm

Respected
Registered VIP
Nice builds!
Thank you! i appreciate the encouragement. I wish that ive been making progress but instead ive only been dealing with a little bad luck lately lol. I had a few mishaps a week or so ago that forced me to spend money on things i really didnt want to. I managed to hit a giant rock in the middle of the road one day blowing out my tire, and the following day i ran over half a deer carcass on the highway that took my SiR lip clean off and cracked my bumper.
:letout: :cussing:

So after rolling around on steelies for a couple days i threw four new tires on and ordered another lip.

IMG_5716 by evan mclaren, on Flickr

IMG_5705 by evan mclaren, on Flickr

IMG_5709 by evan mclaren, on Flickr

I went with some cheap falkens in 195/50/15. i like that theres a little less sidewall than the previous 55s causing them to stretch a hair more and not rub ever. After installing the new tires i was getting alot of vibration from the front drivers side which made me afraid that something was damaged when i hit the rock. I realigned the toe twice, rebalanced both front tires twice and even replaced that axle for good measure, but nothing had any effect. as a last resort i swapped the front wheels to the back, and carefully torqued all the lugs in steps up to 80lb just to make sure they were perfect. took it out for a drive and voila, butter smooth. im chalking it up to driving the lugs on with an air gun while i was at the shop doing my axle. i knew better but never again lol

CHILD

All Day, All JDM
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
you remind me that I need to pick up another SiR lip.

looking good dude. Glad you bouced back from the mishaps.

blandsarcasm

Respected
Registered VIP
you remind me that I need to pick up another SiR lip.

looking good dude. Glad you bouced back from the mishaps.
Thanks man I was pretty salty about losing the lip since they aren't cheap. It was still in good shape even after taking a beating for almost a year. I actually found it on the side of the highway the day after it got ripped off and stopped and picked it up lol but it was pretty mangled from being run over what looked like a hundred times. The new one I just got was a little warped and was missing most of the hardware it was supposed to come with but luckily I was able to salvage most of the clips that I had before. They were all still attached to the lip when I found it on the side of the road haha. Your setup just keeps getting more and more sexy haha I can't wait till that beast is ripping again. I was just looking through all the wekfest pics you put up on Flickr. Gorgeous shots of some seriously awesome cars

CHILD

All Day, All JDM
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Thanks man I was pretty salty about losing the lip since they aren't cheap. It was still in good shape even after taking a beating for almost a year. I actually found it on the side of the highway the day after it got ripped off and stopped and picked it up lol but it was pretty mangled from being run over what looked like a hundred times. The new one I just got was a little warped and was missing most of the hardware it was supposed to come with but luckily I was able to salvage most of the clips that I had before. They were all still attached to the lip when I found it on the side of the road haha. Your setup just keeps getting more and more sexy haha I can't wait till that beast is ripping again. I was just looking through all the wekfest pics you put up on Flickr. Gorgeous shots of some seriously awesome cars
yeah those oem lips are a beast. I hit mine several times and never broke it, but I did make a stressed bend in it which just bothered the hell out of me because it wouldn't look black in that spot anymore lol. When I stop playing around with my engine I want another SiR and a CTR lip just to have some oem goodness.

all the Wekfest cars gave me the itch to drive mine again. I've gotten used to the car just sitting in the garage haha, but now i'm itching to get it done. I'm almost there, so I should be on the dyno sometime soon. I was sort of forced into upgrades along the way....well forced into changes and I have a problem with just doing simple things lol.

what's next for your cars? More work on the GSR engine first?

blandsarcasm

Respected
Registered VIP
yeah those oem lips are a beast. I hit mine several times and never broke it, but I did make a stressed bend in it which just bothered the hell out of me because it wouldn't look black in that spot anymore lol. When I stop playing around with my engine I want another SiR and a CTR lip just to have some oem goodness.

all the Wekfest cars gave me the itch to drive mine again. I've gotten used to the car just sitting in the garage haha, but now i'm itching to get it done. I'm almost there, so I should be on the dyno sometime soon. I was sort of forced into upgrades along the way....well forced into changes and I have a problem with just doing simple things lol.

what's next for your cars? More work on the GSR engine first?
Yeah that's another thing that's bothering me with the lip I just received is that it has a crease on the side like the box was stepped on or something so it's got a weird blue shade line on the side. Not terribly bad but it just bothers me. That's what I get for not buying from icb I guess haha. I was on the fence about grabbing a ctr lip instead but I figured I'll wait till spring when the snow and salts gone. But yeah my goal was to have the gsr motor together and being broken in by now but I keep spending money in every other direction lol. But I want to at least get that thing reassembled and running before I move forward with the k. There's a bunch of other little maintenance things like bushings and bigger brakes on both chassis that I need to take care of along with finishing the rear disk and em1 front control arm setup for the civic. I just been slacking.

blandsarcasm

Respected
Registered VIP
Looking good!
Thank you very much!

Anything new on this guy yet?
I wish i could say that there was, but ive had to pause on the parts buying for the time being. gotta make sure the bills get paid while my girl looks for a new job. I still need to buy a bunch of oem goodies to reassemble my gsr motor as well as mounts, radiator, and clutch before i can drop it in the civic. im hoping to get all that together soon so i can get this crappy single cam and its dying trans out for good. ive been having to skip third gear altogether lately, which is making this slow ass car even less fun to drive haha

Gladiator

Respected
I wish i could say that there was, but ive had to pause on the parts buying for the time being. gotta make sure the bills get paid while my girl looks for a new job. I still need to buy a bunch of oem goodies to reassemble my gsr motor as well as mounts, radiator, and clutch before i can drop it in the civic. im hoping to get all that together soon so i can get this crappy single cam and its dying trans out for good. ive been having to skip third gear altogether lately, which is making this slow ass car even less fun to drive haha
I completely understand where you're coming from - my hatch had a D16y7 in it when I bought it. It wasn't terrible, until I put A/C in the car. Then it downright couldn't get out of it's own way, especially when I was traveling uphill.... The GS-R is so much fun to drive. I love it! Good luck with your build! I've enjoyed your thread thus far, keep up the great work!

blandsarcasm

Respected
Registered VIP
I completely understand where you're coming from - my hatch had a D16y7 in it when I bought it. It wasn't terrible, until I put A/C in the car. Then it downright couldn't get out of it's own way, especially when I was traveling uphill.... The GS-R is so much fun to drive. I love it! Good luck with your build! I've enjoyed your thread thus far, keep up the great work!
thanks for checking it out man i appreciate it! i really cant wait to get back on track with this. aside from reassembling and dropping the gsr, theres a list of other things i want to address like brakes and bushings, then hopefully i can focus on my integra. what are your plans for the hatch?

Gladiator

Respected
Probably about the same as you; building it to be a good reliable daily driver for now. One day, I'll get around to possibly spec'ing out a turbo build - but I don't see that in my near future. Up next is focusing on suspension/ride comfort. On my list are Koni Yellows with ground control coilovers. The rear suspension needs some loving, so I'll be busy researching what all I need.

I'm not a huge fan of how the back wheels are cambered out so much, I'd like to pull them back in - if possible.

blandsarcasm

Respected
Registered VIP
Probably about the same as you; building it to be a good reliable daily driver for now. One day, I'll get around to possibly spec'ing out a turbo build - but I don't see that in my near future. Up next is focusing on suspension/ride comfort. On my list are Koni Yellows with ground control coilovers. The rear suspension needs some loving, so I'll be busy researching what all I need.

I'm not a huge fan of how the back wheels are cambered out so much, I'd like to pull them back in - if possible.
the koni/ground control combo is a great choice. thats what i have on my integra with the off the shelf spring rates from gc. im pretty sure it 380f/250r spring rates. they rode very comfortable but eventually felt like i wanted something stiffer. im planning on getting some 550lb springs for the front and moving the 380's to the rear. you cant beat the versatility and lifetime warranty on that setup. for my civic, i didnt feel like spending the money on the koni/gc setup so i tried a few dif sets of coils in the $600 range and finally settled on function form type 1s. they ride pretty well balanced between firm and comfort for a daily driven coil. its pretty easy to correct the negative camber in the rear with a set of hardrace adjustable upper control arms. its also possible to stack 2 or 3 washers in between the factory rear upper control arm and the chassis to space it out. some people wouldnt condone this "hack" way of doing it but ive been driving my civic like that for about 20k miles and no sign of a problem. its only a temporary fix for me until i get my rear disk setup complete and throw on adjustable rear camber and toe arms with it. to make the washer trick work you have to buy new slightly longer bolts in the right size and thread pitch, as well as 8-12 of the widest diameter washers that have the same center bore as the bolt diameter. I found some grade 10 bolts that were about 40mm long i think at the hardware store and some washers that were about an inch in diameter. I stacked two in between the upper arm and the chassis, so four washers total for each side, and this brought my camber in the rear from about -3.5 degrees back to about -2. my camber sits at about -2.5 in the front and -2 in the rear now. of course just using adjustable rear upper arms would allow you to set your camber wherever you pleased, and also may be more reliable depending on the quality of the bushings.

Gladiator

Respected
Gotcha, thanks for the info! I need to go for a ride with my buddy to see how his car rides. He's got the Koni/GC setup on his and swears by it. I'll also have to check out some rear UCAs and see what's available. I've got Skunk2's up front, may stick with those in the back too... any recommendations?

blandsarcasm

Respected
Registered VIP
Gotcha, thanks for the info! I need to go for a ride with my buddy to see how his car rides. He's got the Koni/GC setup on his and swears by it. I'll also have to check out some rear UCAs and see what's available. I've got Skunk2's up front, may stick with those in the back too... any recommendations?
yeah the skunk2 pro series rear camber arms look like a pretty solid design. i like the fact that they use solid poly bushings. personally ill end up going for those or a pair from hardrace. they both seem to be well made so im guessing it all boils down to the quality of the bushings and i dont have experience with either. but if the skunk fronts are working good for you then might as well go with them in the rear too and report how they hold up. i miss riding on my konis and being able to adjust and play around with the damping.

blandsarcasm

Respected
Registered VIP
well its been a while since ive been on here. recently ive had some crazy luck with my coupe, and by luck i mean total loss.

image3 (5) by evan mclaren, on Flickr

I was taking my normal commute to work early easter morning when a loose horse decided to run from a farmers field into the road right in front of me. there wasnt anything i could do to hitting it and fortunately i made out without a scratch on me especially considering the hole in the windshield directly in front of my face. so luckily for me my insurance covered the loss, allowed me to remove my parts and revert the car back to stock, and cut me a check for a little over what i paid for the car to begin with so i was able to go out and scoop up another daily pretty quick. after a couple days of sharing my girlfriends car to get to work and back i stumbled upon this thing...

IMG_6178 by evan mclaren, on Flickr

IMG_6165 by evan mclaren, on Flickr

IMG_6164 by evan mclaren, on Flickr

IMG_6172 by evan mclaren, on Flickr

IMG_6175 by evan mclaren, on Flickr

IMG_6193 by evan mclaren, on Flickr

Its a 98 with a 00 front, vibrant muffler/ integra midpipe, tein lowering springs on factory shocks, shredded gsr leather seats and a few SI goodies. the engine bay is filthy but the motor was replaced with a supposedly low mileage y7 from an automatic. mileage on the shell and motor are both unknown but its definitely healthy and rust free. so of course it wasnt long before i threw on the few parts i had salvaged from my coupe..

IMG_6218 by evan mclaren, on Flickr

IMG_6220 by evan mclaren, on Flickr

IMG_6226 by evan mclaren, on Flickr

IMG_6227 by evan mclaren, on Flickr

IMG_6228 by evan mclaren, on Flickr

i threw on my coils, wheels, oem floor mats, seats from my gsr as well as the shift knob to match. the interior def looks alot less ratty now. wound up needing to replace the front upper control arms and inner/outer tie rods on both sides immediately and it handles pretty tight now. to be honest i really miss the 98 front with the ctr headlights, grille and sir lip, but overall i think i made out pretty well. Ive been wanting another hatch for a while now and i finally wound up with a relatively clean one out of pure luck. so now im pretty much right back where i left off with the coupe with the exception of losing my one ctr headlight and being forced to let my function 7 lca's go with the coupe. those will be the next purchases for this car as soon as i can get my integra running and get my funds back up. Ive been dumping every spare dollar i can for the past few months rushing to get my gsr rebuilt and back on the road for the spring so i can drive it as much as possible before it gets torn down again next winter.

IMG_6149 by evan mclaren, on Flickr

IMG_6148 by evan mclaren, on Flickr

I have a build thread for that car over on team integra if anyones interested in checking that out. its just about as boring as this one lol.

http://www.team-integra.net/forum/20-your-integra/306713-blandsarcasms-incredibly-slow-boring-gsr-k24-build.html

blandsarcasm

Respected
Registered VIP
got bored and sick of not having music in the car so i wired up my head unit. this poor head unit has now been passed around between 3 different cars haha.

IMG_6249 by evan mclaren, on Flickr

it still feels strange touching all leather while driving a 98 hatch lol. def need to spend some time and give this interior some love. hopefully the weather around here will warm up again soon

blandsarcasm

Respected
Registered VIP
man the hatch looks great!!!
Thanks man I'm content lol. I'm honestly more a fan of the 98 front tbh. It is just a 00 front slapped on a 98 so I could revert if I wanted. At least it came with an oem front lip and not some eBay rep crap. I'll prob donate my sir lip, ctr grill, and the si wheels to my girls coupe lol. She could care less but ill give her some jdm cool points haha

blandsarcasm

Respected
Registered VIP
im really starting to get tired of this streak of shitty luck. with that being said let me rewind a couple weeks...

the exhaust that came on the hatch is surprisingly legit. the muffler is a vibrant street power but as far as the rest goes i wasnt sure. i could tell it was oem honda of some sort but i wasnt sure exactly what car it came from. the biggest thing that i was surprised by was the fact that the midpipe is stainless. so seeing that i automatically assumed it was from either an ek9 or dc2R. after some googling i confirmed that it is in fact from an ek9. thats pretty cool to me considering its larger diameter stainless piping with two resonators as well as the type r jdm points lol. buuut the axle back portion that goes over the lower control arm to the muffler was some shitty ghetto small diameter mild steel that was constantly banging the control arm on bumps.

IMG_6252 by evan mclaren, on Flickr

IMG_6251 by evan mclaren, on Flickr

IMG_6253 by evan mclaren, on Flickr

IMG_6250 by evan mclaren, on Flickr

as you can see its a little crappy and theres a hanger missing and the muffler sits slightly crooked. after putting up with the banging for a couple weeks i got sick of it and went and got it remedied.

IMG_4003 by evan mclaren, on Flickr

IMG_4002 by evan mclaren, on Flickr

stainless 2.25" with proper welds and ample clearance. it sits straight and even sounds a bit smoother
so as soon as i got that taken care of this happened...

IMG_4045 by evan mclaren, on Flickr

IMG_4044 by evan mclaren, on Flickr

IMG_4048 by evan mclaren, on Flickr