Bleeding 2002 LX Clutch

bofthe951

Hey guys. Just woke up and my dad is wrist deep in clutch fluid trying to figure out what the hell to do. He is trying to bleed the clutch on his 5 speed 02 civic lx. I looked underneath and fallowed the tube that comes off the reservoir and it seems to go into the wheel well. Where is the slave cylinder? If you have images that would help too. Thanks guys.

XpL0d3r

I had a Civic once.
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Sounds to me like you're bleeding the brake fluid, not the clutch fluid.

For bleeding the clutch, loosen the bleeder valve on the slave cylinder, which is on the front of the tranny. Be careful with it as they break easy. Get a hose, and a cup of brake fluid. Dip the hose in the cup and put it over the bleeder valve on the slave cylinder. From there you need a second person to press/depress the clutch. Follow like this:

Open bleeder, push clutch pedal in, close bleeder, clutch pedal out. Andddd repeat. lol.

OR

Open bleeder, push clutch pedal in/out many times, then close bleeder. This is quicker as long as the hose stays over the valve and is in the cup of fluid. If it's not, or it slips, you're actually going to push air IN to the line.

Basically you're slowly pushing air out of the line a little at a time. Make sure the bleeder has the hose connected and stays in the cup of fluid while it's opened, as that prevents more fluid from entering. Oh and for both ways make sure you keep topping off the master cylinder with fluid.

Last edited:

XpL0d3r

I had a Civic once.
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
^ Dang. Wish I knew that existed before lol.