bleeding the air from radiator

EricDaReDD

Dedicated2myDxHatch
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
My buddy Tom put a new radiator in his car but never bled the air out of the system. I told him it's important to do but he was all like "it'll go away on it's own" blah blah blah. Can damage be caused if you don't bleed the air out?

Peace and Llove
Eric

gearbox

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
yes air bubbles will overheat the engine because obviously air doesn't cool like liquid. I would bleed it asap. There is an easy way... when the car is COLD, open the radiator cap (the coolant should be at the top already). Start the car and rev the rpms slightly from 2-3k rpms until the engine is at normal operating temp. Turn the A/C on full blast to kick on the fans. Watch the coolant in the radiator. You should see bubbles popping at the surface. Also it is important to turn the heat on full because you want the bubbles out of the heater core as well. Once you don't see air bubbles anymore, shut off the engine and replace the radiator cap after filling it up. Some fluid may or may not overflow during this process. Also check the overflow tank (reserve) if your car has one and make sure it is at the max line.

Puff0028

5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
well to my knowledge though i could be wrong yea it can he can get an air block an overheat his engine, so bleeding the air will not give it a change to get air block. If you didn't have to bleed it there wouldn't be a bleeding screw.