bleeding the clutch?

ItsAnEP3

Twin Turbo
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I was just wondering how are you supposed to bleed the clutch fluid? Are you supposed to hold the clutch and let it drip out or pump it like you do the brakes? I dunno, I've never done it before. Also, is it ok to use dot 3 brake fluid instead of clutch fluid?

dank24

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
use whatever it says in the manual. But undo the clutch line, press pedal down, tighten clutch line bolt, let pedal up. Do it 3-5 times and make sure you put the cap on the clutch reservoir, plus keep it topped off.

cheezeonmakneez

love unicorns
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
use whatever it says in the manual. But undo the clutch line, press pedal down, tighten clutch line bolt, let pedal up. Do it 3-5 times and make sure you put the cap on the clutch reservoir, plus keep it topped off.
I hope you mean open the bleeder valve on the slave cylinder and not the actual hose.

cheezeonmakneez

love unicorns
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I was just wondering how are you supposed to bleed the clutch fluid? Are you supposed to hold the clutch and let it drip out or pump it like you do the brakes? I dunno, I've never done it before. Also, is it ok to use dot 3 brake fluid instead of clutch fluid?
brake fluid is a type of hydraulic fluid and will work for your hydraulic clutch system as well.

dank24

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
yea, thats what i meant

dank24

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
dont put brake fluid in ur clutch. It has a different boiling temp and s**t, or I might be thinking about trans fluid I dunno.

NFR_AP2

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
its pretty simple man, take a 8mm wrench and loosen the bleeder valve on the slave cylinder attached to the transmission, loosen only a little bit, now get a can or something to hold about a 1/2-1 inch of fluid in, now attach a hose the the nipple on the bleeder valve and submerge the other end into the cup of fluid, now what i did was use my hand and raipdly depress the clutch until all the air bubbles were out of the system, and all that was coming out of the bleeder valve was fluid, and dont forget to periodically add more fluid in the master cylinder. the whole process took about 10-15 minutes...well for me anyways :thumbs up

EDIT: and i used brake fluid, thats ok to use, just look at your haynes manual(if you have one)

hope that helps you man

ItsAnEP3

Twin Turbo
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
So, I bled my clutch out..I did it 6 times. It didn't make any change, really though, it feels worse than before. Could my slave cylinder be bad?

henkz0r

Unobtanium Member
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Do you have a helper with you? This is really something you need a 2nd person for. If any air goes back into the slave cylinder you're defeating the entire purpose of bleeding the line.

Check the master cylinder piston under the dash for leaks. You also may want to remove your slave cylinder from the transmission (2x 12mm bolts) and make sure you're not losing any fluid past the slave piston.

ItsAnEP3

Twin Turbo
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Well, at first I was doing it wrong and not tightening the bolt on the bleeder valve back up when pumping the clutch. Then, I did it again only tightening each time before I pull the clutch back up. There are no leaks under the dash I already checked.

cheezeonmakneez

love unicorns
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Well, at first I was doing it wrong and not tightening the bolt on the bleeder valve back up when pumping the clutch. Then, I did it again only tightening each time before I pull the clutch back up. There are no leaks under the dash I already checked.
You probably have a grip of air in your system. get a second person to press the cluch pedal down and hold it. then loosen the bleeder screw and let the air and fluid come out. Once there is no more air or fluid coming out, tighten it up and have person#2 pull the pedal back up. repeat this untill nothing but fluid comes out. Pumping the clutch may help as well (thats how I do it).

immajackuup

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
its like the piston when u bleed the brakes.
just don't let air suck back in, u have to bleed it twice then lock the bolt up so the air wont come back in again.
Yes u do need another person in the car pushing the clutch to bleed like the piston on the brakes.

dank24

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
get a tube and put it on the bolt where the fluid comes out. Let the fluid build up and put the tube in the fluid, like what was said when no air bubbles are coming out. Tighten it up and call it a day

Honda Newbe

5+ Year Member
if you bleed your clutch tell me how

i have been bleeding my clutch for two days now. i have no back pressure on the pedal at all i have to pull the pedal back up and push back down. i have replaced the slave the master. This all started when i had to put in a new clutch. i put in a stage I Zoom in the 02 Civic EX. i have two people working this and we still get no pressure(that would at least be something. i am tring gravity bleed tonight(going on day three)
why do i have no pressure at all at the pedal?:???:

jdmspivic

Go Ahead Shoot Me b***h!
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
it shouldn't take 2 days man . Something doesn't sound right. Hmmmmmmm!?

Hue G Rection

5+ Year Member
i have been bleeding my clutch for two days now. i have no back pressure on the pedal at all i have to pull the pedal back up and push back down. i have replaced the slave the master. This all started when i had to put in a new clutch. i put in a stage I Zoom in the 02 Civic EX. i have two people working this and we still get no pressure(that would at least be something. i am tring gravity bleed tonight(going on day three)
why do i have no pressure at all at the pedal?:???:
I just did a swap into my car and had the same thing happen. I bled the clutch and problem solved. I didn't have a second person but I can be pretty crafty in figuring out that a broom stick is exactly the right length to fully depress the clutch and have the other end lightly tapped into the door edge (no panels):lol: Anyways, lets make sure you're doing this right:

1)top of brake fluid
2)attach snug fitting tube to clutch valve
3)fill container ith about two inches of brake fluid
4)submerge other end of tube that is connected to valve into container
5)Push in the clutch pedal to the floor
6)loosen valve nut

You should see a short burst of air bubbles in fluid thats in container.

7)once the bubbles stop, tighten the valve nut
8)release clutch pedal

Repeat steps 5-8 until no more bubbles appear (usually about 4-5 times

IMPORTANT: Watch your fluid level!!! If it gets too low you'll just put more air in the line.

Honda Newbe

5+ Year Member
my problem is not that i am doing it wrong it is that i have no back presure. the pedal will stay on the floor and i have to manually pull it back up. it seems i am going no where.

trace01m

E thug.
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
If you have to pull it back up you still have a lot of air in the line. Happened to my RX7