block guard vs. sleeving block

watisjdm

Clit Commander
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
I'm Trying to figure out what i should do because... i want to not spend so much money so thats why i want the block guard but is it that big of a difference if i sleeve the block and or what?...like whats the difference i mean i know the difference btw the too but will it be HUGE difference??...lmk

i just don't want to spend like 1100 bucks to get my block sleeved when i can get a block guard for 91 bucks

Handlebars

None Taken.
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
block guards are useless. dont get one. if your goals are less than 450-500 whp, stock sleeves are fine. if you want more than that, or if you want to increase displacment, get it sleeved.

ryan89crx

Spoolin single cam!
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
what motor and what power goals?

for 95% of people building turbo motors, sleeving is overkill

watisjdm

Clit Commander
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
y8 and power goals are anywhere from 300-400

and do u think it would be overkill if i get it sleeved and dont have 450 hp?? or would it help

ryan89crx

Spoolin single cam!
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
personally i wouldnt sleeve unless its an all out racecar

watisjdm

Clit Commander
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
so u think a block guard will be fine or wat...should i get them honed or wat? haha

ryan89crx

Spoolin single cam!
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
i wouldnt even run a guard

what size pistons are you going to run? you should really make sure that your block is within spec if you are wanting to run stock bore pistons

watisjdm

Clit Commander
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
ryan89crx said:
i wouldnt even run a guard

what size pistons are you going to run? you should really make sure that your block is within spec if you are wanting to run stock bore pistons
running 75mm vitaras got em fromt fjt on turbod16.com

ryan89crx

Spoolin single cam!
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
ahh, gotcha

do a quick dingleball hone just to get nice crosshatch marks and call it good. dont hone too long, you dont want to remove any more material than you have to

watisjdm

Clit Commander
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
ryan89crx said:
ahh, gotcha

do a quick dingleball hone just to get nice crosshatch marks and call it good. dont hone too long, you dont want to remove any more material than you have to
gotcha.......i kno about a bunch or other s**t but this whole hone and stuff..what is it...do i let a shop do it or waT???

ryan89crx

Spoolin single cam!
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
electric drill and ball hone/flex hone from your local Napa. oil the cylinders good, and run it up and down evenly and consistently. you should get nice crosshatch pretty quick.

honestly, if you were going with any other piston i would take it to the machine shop and let them use their stone hone on it. but since you are using Vitaras, and they are going to be a bit small anyways, a quick ball hone should be good enough

watisjdm

Clit Commander
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
ryan89crx said:
electric drill and ball hone/flex hone from your local Napa. oil the cylinders good, and run it up and down evenly and consistently. you should get nice crosshatch pretty quick.

honestly, if you were going with any other piston i would take it to the machine shop and let them use their stone hone on it. but since you are using Vitaras, and they are going to be a bit small anyways, a quick ball hone should be good enough
sweet thanks alot man

shoemaker617

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
The only way to reinforce the block IMO, is to sleeve it. Might as well sleeve it now, im definatly sleeving mine