blown motor?

amnelson87

Hey everyone. Thanks for the feed back in advance. So i was driving my 1995 honda civic del sol vtec dohc and i noticed the temp gauge was pegged at the H. I only had a couple exits on the freeway left to get to where i was going so stupidly i kept going. Shortly after i heard a loud pop noise and the car began smoking. I pulled over on the side of the freeway and before i could shut down the engine it clunked a few times and then turned off on its own. i let it cool down for a while and tried to start it with no luck. I ended up getting it towed home. I looked into the engine and saw that a hose other than the upper or lower radiator hose was blown apart. I change that hose along with the upper and lower radiator hose. I also changed the thermostat. I filled it back up with coolant and it wouldn't start. I did take the radiator cap off and turn on the heater full blast. The coolant was shooting up like a fountain when i would crank with no cap on indicating the head gasket was blown. My question would be if the head gasket is the problem or if i could have blown the motor.

lethal6

Your Mom's Moderator
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Well, looks like yet another one to learn the hard way. That is why you NEVER drive on it once it overheats.

At the very least you cooked the head but it sounds like you did more damage than that. It won't start with the destroyed compression you have now.

2 options:

1) replace the motor.

2) put a new head gasket in, redeck the head, and compression check to see if you destroyed the block as well.

Last edited: