Blue light low temp sensor on 3 mins?

SidCivic

5+ Year Member
Hi Everyone,

My 21 day old 2015 Honda Civic LX's low temperature sensor (blue light) comes on 2-4x a day upon starting and stays on for approx. 3 minutes. It never comes on while driving; only when starting the car from parked position. It occurs after starting from overnight, and even from starting after being stopped only for 2-3 hours. It occurs after the car has been out on the street, and parked in our garage. I bought the car on 5/29/15. It did NOT occur for the first 2 weeks, but happens daily in the last week. I live in San Diego where the temperature has hovered from 64-78 degrees during the time of this problem.

1) What problems could be causing the light to come on and stay on?
2) If it's normal like some people say, then why did it not happen for the first 2 weeks after I bought the car?
3) Wouldn't it display from day 1 if it's so normal? Also, wouldn't it have displayed on the dealer lot when I first test drove it b/c that would be a much more likely situation when the engine was cold and needed to get up to temperature?

Sorry if this question has been answered elsewhere. Please link me to that thread and I'll post there. Any help you can give is appreciated, and thanks!

- Worried New Civic Owner

XpL0d3r

I had a Civic once.
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
:welcome: to ClubCivic!

Are you sure the low temp light never came on before? I think you just never noticed it, to be honest. See attached image.

It's normal, and it makes sense -- when the car is first turned on the engine is cold, hence that light popping up. My buddy has a 2012 EX and his light does the same thing.

You can change your name to just New Civic Owner now! ;)

And congrats on the pickup!

Attachments

SidCivic

5+ Year Member
Thanks for the response and the welcome Xplod3r! :D

I understand your explanation, and that your buddy's 2012 EX light does it too, but is it normal for a 3 week old car to do this? Also, I am anal. This is my first new car and within the first 3 days I read the owner's manual 2x (who DOES that) and monitored the indicators since day 1. :lol:

I am completely open to the idea of this being normal if you can to explain to me why it would not do it on the dealer's lot or during the first 2 weeks during same weather conditions? Thanks again.

XpL0d3r

I had a Civic once.
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Well, there's a chance that the dealer or someone else before you drove it around or test drove it before you did. Can't explain the first two weeks.

If you're that worried, you only got it 3 weeks ago... call the dealership ;)

SidCivic

5+ Year Member
I will check it out with the dealer, thanks. Another problem: The driver's side gets 5-10 degrees hotter than the passenger side whenever I drive the car. It's not overbearing hot or anything, but "warm" enough for me to notice it and turn on mild AC. Is this normal? Thanks for your input.

*Note: It is NOT simply hot air coming out of the vents while driving - which is normal and happens all the time. The AC/Heat are off, I drive, no air is coming out fo the vents, and still the driver's side gets 5-10 degrees hotter than the passenger side.