Boost up d16y8 horsepower without turbo or supercharging?

Ej8Kid

Too Much Traction
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
If you want to stay N/A, just get simple bolt ons such as Intake, Exhaust, Header. And if you want more power, get higher compression pistons, some cams, intake manifold and bam. With all that money spent, you could have gotten a turbo kit.

diemf50

When u say p28 do you mean converting your car to obd1 and using a p28 ecu? Doing that would make the car easier to tune, but would not be smog legal in Cali from what i know. In florida there is no smog tests and cops dont hassle us bout our cars. Not me anyway, maybe im just special.
i have a p2p running on a jdm d15b. is that obd2 to obd1? if so i awesome cuz i just passed my smog test! just had to take my performance headers off and t worked. j/w but yea cali is bitches whenit comes to cars, cuz cal has so much damn room to race, you see performance at every corner...... or wannabe's

obracer12

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
i agree nitrous is the best bang for the buck. running a 50 wet kit would be "safe" on stock internals.. I say that because depending on how you use it it can be dangerous... position of throttle switch to prevent backfire would be the key to long motor life... i have known people who have put over 1,000 lbs of nitrous through their y8's and they ran fine.. granted they ran a Zex kit with control box/throttle switch and ran a SAFC... research it and make a decision. There are a few guys on here that won't mind a PM about a logistic question they would have knowledge of I.E. WillyBig for a turbo D... Just throwing it out there

read up on nitrous and tuning, and if there are any speed shops in your area that can even fill the bottle.. that may sway your decision

EDIT: before you listen to some of these people who don't really have a clue, read this http://www.clubcivic.com/board/showthread.php?t=175637&highlight=d+series+bolt+ons

VSP

Just hand me the wrench.
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
EDIT: before you listen to some of these people who don't really have a clue, read this http://www.clubcivic.com/board/showthread.php?t=175637&highlight=d+series+bolt+ons
Excellent thread and articles. It's good to keep this kind of thing in perspective when researching performance upgrades.

to the OP: lots of us have various levels of hands-on experience with forced induction of one kind or another and are more than willing to offer our advice and perspective; do your research before buying anything or asking serious questions! It'll help you when you do ask your questions to be able to weed out those who offer advice but more than likely have no experience other than reading and regurgitating something they read online or on the forums. Good luck!

eg6white305

I,ve owned and built a 13 sec. 240whp turbo d16, a 13 sec 210whp nitrous d16, a 14sec 180whp all motor b18, and a 12 sec 300whp nitrous ford mustang 5.0. All 100% built by me.

Ej8civic96

I have a 96 Honda civic ex with a d16 engine I wanna boost it with a turbo kit give off 7 to 8 psi I also want to upgrade the pistons but do I also have to changes the rods or no??

eg6white305

If u upgrade to forged pistons then yes u should upgrade to forged i-beam rods.Stock Rods are the weak link in d16 and are only good to 250whp reliably. But a stock d16 thats healthy with some arp headstuds should be good to 200whp with stock pistons and rods, its all in the tune. A built motor will blow just like a stock one with a bad tune.

mahalo

formerly egninesallday
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
you deffinatly need to do more research you said you dont know the difference between nitrous and tubocharging. you should not do ANYTHING untill you do enough research.

Ej8civic96

Oo ps I have an auto trans I want to Turbo I dnt plan on making it real big just want to start of small u kno I already have a full buddy club exhuast and a Megan cat and a dc header and intake so the engine is al ready beeing abused again I have a auto trans juss wanna push like 7 psi or less because the turbo kit I'm going to get is ment for a stock d16. And the person said don't go ubove 7 psi I just wanted to see if I can just change the piston to be safer becuase the rods are expensens unless u kno wer I can find them cheap =) for the piston and rods but I just want a turnoed car

eg6white305

Yeah the car will not be fast even turboed if its got a auto trans. First thing u should do is convert to 5 spd. Thats just my opinion tho. Good luck and again do a ton of research. Turbod16.com is a great source of knowledge for turbo sohc hondas.

whoopnip

Some Delicious Guy
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Oo ps I have an auto trans I want to Turbo I dnt plan on making it real big just want to start of small u kno I already have a full buddy club exhuast and a Megan cat and a dc header and intake so the engine is al ready beeing abused again I have a auto trans juss wanna push like 7 psi or less because the turbo kit I'm going to get is ment for a stock d16. And the person said don't go ubove 7 psi I just wanted to see if I can just change the piston to be safer becuase the rods are expensens unless u kno wer I can find them cheap =) for the piston and rods but I just want a turnoed car
Beware that automatic D-series transmissions are VERY weak. It may fail on you around 180-200 HP.

You can get a Vitara Piston/Eagle Rod combo through Speed Factory for $475.

Ej8civic96

i was palying on changing the piston and rods to turbo and change the trans to a manuel and turbo it up fron there

whoopnip

Some Delicious Guy
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Sorry I'm really new to cars but whats a difference between turbo manifold headers and regular headers? Would performance be different? I found this headers online and I was just wondering. http://mediciautowerks.com/catalog/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=226_162_28&products_id=76
A turbo header is flanged for a turbo and a wastegate. Putting one on an N/A car would be useless and counter-effective.

to swamp a d16 trans auto to a maunel what will i need ???? so i can go turbo with a manuel trans ??
http://www.clubcivic.com/board/showthread.php?t=157624

kyle97charlie

68% right 100% of th time
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
i have a p2p running on a jdm d15b. is that obd2 to obd1? if so i awesome cuz i just passed my smog test! just had to take my performance headers off and t worked. j/w but yea cali is bitches whenit comes to cars, cuz cal has so much damn room to race, you see performance at every corner...... or wannabe's
P2P is 96-00 obd-II civic ex with d16y8

Ej8civic96

Damn, yeah. Cops are really strict around here... especially where I live. What do you think I should do?
Idk if u ever seen fast and fourius with vin and his viper how he opens. His passenger seat and the 8 pack of nos is right there hiddig lol that what you can do hid it

greycoupe

5+ Year Member
In florida nitrous is perfectly legal. I have been pulled over for speeding with a a nitrous bottle behind my seat. Cop saw it and didnt say nuthin. Cali is way different though.
actually nitrous is not legal in florida for street use, he probably thought it wasnt hooked up
having the bottle in the car is fine as long as the line is disconnected.

VSP

Just hand me the wrench.
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Idk if u ever seen fast and fourius with vin and his viper how he opens. His passenger seat and the 8 pack of nos is right there hiddig lol that what you can do hid it
Except instead of an eight-pack of NOS I'd hide a six-pack of Coors under there. I mean, what the hell. Why not. :rolf: