Bought a 97 civic dx. Having issues

Arismkv

5+ Year Member
Good morning. First post here.

Bought a civic from a guy who claims he got the car from auction. He showed me his auction access card.

This is the first time that I'm buying from a private dealer. I was always two minded about that. But, I needed a car fast and I think I might have brought my self a huge headache.

I have the title of the car. But the private dealers name isn't on the title. It's the previous owners name. I honestly had no clue how private dealer transactions work. So I now have the title and NYS DMV is asking for me to get the title signed off to me by the last owner whose had the title. Note: This is not the same person as the one who sold me the car.

I have the sellers license, home address and phone number. At the moment he isn't answering my phone calls.

My next step is to go to the police.
I'm afraid car was stolen and then sold to me. But how would he have the title of the car if it was stolen.

Please any advice can help.
I know I shouldn't have rushed it, but was in real need of a car.

Shaaaft

FNG
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Take the car to the person you bought it from. In pa I did something like this but the seller an I signed a bill of sale and he had power of attorney of the vehicle so he signed it over to me and I had to find a notary who would do it but once I found one who wasn't "afraid of touching it" it was simple.

Puma

Has no filter
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I would think at this point, is in the dealer's hands whom you bought the car from. It is there job to title it accordingly in order to sell it.

Then again, I may be completely wrong; I have never dealt with a dealership.

Arismkv

5+ Year Member
Take the car to the person you bought it from. In pa I did something like this but the seller an I signed a bill of sale and he had power of attorney of the vehicle so he signed it over to me and I had to find a notary who would do it but once I found one who wasn't "afraid of touching it" it was simple.
I can't get in contact with him.

DTvn

Why would you buy a car with a messed up title situation? Bad idea..

Do you at least have a bill of sale or something as backup incase something goes wrong?

Arismkv

5+ Year Member
Why would you buy a car with a messed up title situation? Bad idea..

Do you at least have a bill of sale or something as backup incase something goes wrong?
I know. Big mistake. I really thought that the title didn't need to be under his name since he is a licensed auction dealer.

I have a bill of sale. But again it's from the person that sold me the car