bought a boosted car need some help.noob here

josh kaegael

i traded my lowered blazer for a clean 00 civic coupe.i know the kid that originally built the car but some dumbass had it since so now im here looking for some assistance..the car has low compression pistons bored and decked has bigger injectors.the car is only running on a basemap and has a jumpy idle.the car only runs about 6psi and thats fine for now but i want the thing to idle better..it jumps between 1000-1300.whats the cheapest way to tune it and some input on what i should do..the original owner of the car/builder of the car says i should run a smaller turbo and get it tuned,he put a 70 trim on it.please help thanks

lethal6

Your Mom's Moderator
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Cheap and tune shouldn't be in the same sentence. A badly tuned turbo build will kill an engine in a hurry.

Base tune should be run, in my opinion, only a short period until a proper tune can be done. The tune is the single most important thing in a turbo build. It can be the difference between a reliable set up and a total money down the drain situation. Sadly it's one of the most cut corners in builds, especially from impatient newbs.

2slo4u

wait4me
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
^^x2
Get that tune as soon as you can. It'll most likely fix the idle and the car will run much better and hopefully longer.

josh kaegael

so how much am i looking to get a good reliable tune on this car

XpL0d3r

I had a Civic once.
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Depends on what management software is used and your local tuners rates. I'd say to be done right you'll spend $4-500.

mc360

boosted hx
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
The idle problem is most likely in the basemap tune, I have had two civics boosted that acted like the iacv was bad as soon as the basemap was ran, once tuned it went away. The most I have payed for a dyno tune so far was 250$, it seems now the tuners around here are switching from an hourly rate to a set rate at 250$ for N/A and 300$ for turbo cars.

Esotericimage

Taking an H-T break
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
^^^

Yea I heard the cost has gone up.. My tuner still gives me the old rate thank god.