bought a used car

Chris Boyer

hey guys i just bought a used 1998 honda civic had 130k miles seems like it has no problems but just to be safe i was wondering whats some maintenance i should do or things i should look for now that i have it, thanks guys

XpL0d3r

I had a Civic once.
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
:welcome: to ClubCivic!

I'd give her the normal tune-up if you don't know much history about the car. Oil change, tranny flush, spark plugs, spark plug wires, and just check the engine bay for leaky fluids (power steering, brake fluid, etc.) and top off if needed.

lethal6

Your Mom's Moderator
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
:welcome: to ClubCivic!

I'd give her the normal tune-up if you don't know much history about the car. Oil change, tranny flush, spark plugs, spark plug wires, and just check the engine bay for leaky fluids (power steering, brake fluid, etc.) and top off if needed.

To add to this.

If you have NO documentation that the timing belt, water pump, etc was done do it now. It should be done at 105,000 according to the service manual. While you are at it, change out the thermostat and flush the cooling system.

I would also flush the brake/clutch fluid as it should be done every 2 years and most people severely neglect it.

Personally, I would replace plugs, wires, cap, rotor, fuel filter, oil, pollen/cabin (if equipped), air filter (or clean if it is a reusable one), adjust the valves, replace the timing belt (with water pump, timing belt tensioner, and any needed seals/gaskets), all belts, flush the cooling system, replace thermostat, flush brake/clutch fluid, transmission fluid change, and inspect the brakes, tires, and anything else safety related that might need to be done. I do all that with any vehicle purchase that has over 100k miles if there isn't any actual documented proof that it was done recently. Word of mouth from the seller doesn't count unless you know and trust them.