Brake Lights always on

packers#1

This issue just popped up with my car last night, but two of my brake lights were suddenly always on, even when I had the car turned off and everything. It was the right-most light of each pairing on the back (1996 EX Sedan). My dad and I talked over the phone and figured it was probably a problem with the brake light switch. However, I did some more reading on the internet and found some people with other Hondas who had this problem had it be the pedal stopper pad, so I went and looked on the floor of the car and found this.
DSC_0072 by Sawyer Berry, on Flickr

It also looks like it's missing off the brake pedal arm (sorry for the crappy photos, took them with my phone)
DSC_0071 by Sawyer Berry, on Flickr

So my question is, am I correct that this is probably the problem?

CHILD

All Day, All JDM
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
YES....that is exactly the problem. Do like I did, and replace with a 10mm bolt and nut and you'll never have this issue again. If you use a new stopper like the oem one, it'll eventually happen again

packers#1

YES....that is exactly the problem. Do like I did, and replace with a 10mm bolt and nut and you'll never have this issue again. If you use a new stopper like the oem one, it'll eventually happen again
Thanks! I'll go get a 10 mm bolt and nut and fix it right now

R3dline

Respected
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
yep, 10mm, if you want it to be quiet and not make a noise when you let off the break, gorilla glu a small piece of felt on top...

XpL0d3r

I had a Civic once.
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
If you use a new stopper like the oem one, it'll eventually happen again
This.

Is exactly what happened to me. :lol:

Esotericimage

Taking an H-T break
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
I went to honda and replaced with oem. They made changes to the materials and new ones will out last the original. I mean its been at least 15 years and this one broke. I highly doubt you'll still have your riride for another 15+ years. Its only 3.00 from the dealer and snaps right in.

packers#1

I went to honda and replaced with oem. They made changes to the materials and new ones will out last the original. I mean its been at least 15 years and this one broke. I highly doubt you'll still have your riride for another 15+ years. Its only 3.00 from the dealer and snaps right in.
Yeah, but the bolt replacement was a lot easier and was less expensive than my best option for the part, which was an $8 at Napa in Clemson (the closest dealership is in Anderson).

I wound up using an 8 mm bolt, as the 10 mm bolt I bought was slightly too large for the opening in the brake pedal arm. Works like new.

Esotericimage

Taking an H-T break
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
When it happened to me, I used a little rubber pad used for furniture til I could make it to the dealer

packers#1

When it happened to me, I used a little rubber pad used for furniture til I could make it to the dealer
The trip to Walmart would have been longer to get that than the trip to Ace hardware was for the bolt and nut; eh, plenty of ways to skin a cat.