Brake Lights not working

sroedel

5+ Year Member
Hi,
I have a 2000 Honda Civic EX in which the brake lights aren't working.. I have checked the fuses, brake switch, and lights and all are good. I ran a jumper wire from the switch to the back lights and they work when the pedal is depressed. I have an issue with wiring or the junction neither of which i know where they are or where they go. Any help that can be provided would be extremely helpful, especially if i dont have to tear the whole thing apart.

Thanks
Scott

MasterShake

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Maybe replace the bulbs? I think theres 2 coils, high and low

charles_00Civic

CC'S Longest Running Noob
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Umm. If your license plate lights are working then it's bulbs or wiring. If that is not working either, then it is a fuse.

sroedel

5+ Year Member
charles_00Civic said:
Umm. If your license plate lights are working then it's bulbs or wiring. If that is not working either, then it is a fuse.
All bulbs and fuses are good. Horn, liscense lights and what not are good.. Its the stop lights, not tail lights that are not working.. If i turn on my lights the regular lights light up. When i press the brake pedal the brighter lights dont come on.. That is why i am curious about where the cables run so i might be able to track down a break, since the brakes work if i bypass the greem/white cable in the car.

Rouge1

5+ Year Member
if your tail lights work but your brake lights are not working then it's not the fuse, it is more than likely your brake switch which is located under the dash on your brake pedal rod assembly it is either out of adjustment or it went bad just replace it adjust it and that should solve your problem.

iixtremehansen

5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
same s**t happen to me, the 2 coils seem to be fine but the brake like still didnt work till i replace it

sroedel

5+ Year Member
Switch is good, hence the jumping it straight to the lights with another cable and it worked.

Rouge1 said:
if your tail lights work but your brake lights are not working then it's not the fuse, it is more than likely your brake switch which is located under the dash on your brake pedal rod assembly it is either out of adjustment or it went bad just replace it adjust it and that should solve your problem.