brakes smoking after doing changing rotors and pads

Vtec Missing

did my brakes today changed pads and rotors and ran in to a problem. for some reason my caliper would not slide out the caliper mounting bracket but i was able to get the mounting bracket off. after that I put the new parts on and put everything back on and went for a drive around the block. Parked the car and went to the passenger side and notice that it had some smoke coming from it and the car fill like their something holding it back.

99 civic lx
4dr auto
front rotors and pads
rear drums and shoes

taluzer45

4 Banger Deluxe
Registered VIP
I think you have a stuck caliper, just try to compress the piston assemblies on the caliper with a c-clamp ( if you don't have one you may be able to get a cheap one, or a local store could be able to lend you one! ), If you can't, just buy a new one because they are cheap and not worth rebuilding... also don't drive the car if this is still occuring, only because you run the risk of screwing up a brand new rotor, or possible fire.... It could also be possible you had recived too big of pads?, but start by trouble shooting the calipers! Hope this helps a little bit! =)

Vtec Missing

I think you have a stuck caliper, just try to compress the piston assemblies on the caliper with a c-clamp ( if you don't have one you may be able to get a cheap one, or a local store could be able to lend you one! ), If you can't, just buy a new one because they are cheap and not worth rebuilding... also don't drive the car if this is still occuring, only because you run the risk of screwing up a brand new rotor, or possible fire.... It could also be possible you had recived too big of pads?, but start by trouble shooting the calipers! Hope this helps a little bit! =)
I going to take another look at it today. i have a c-clamp so im going to try a compresee the piston. I still have the old pads which are still pretty good so im going to put them back on and see what happens thanks for your help

civexspeedy

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
The piston inside the caliper wouldn't move? Or just the whole caliper would slide off of the mounting bracket? Two very different things. From your discription, I don't think you have a frozen caliper piston. Otherwise you wouldn't have been able to get the new pads and rotors on. Sounds like maybe some stuck slider bolts.

Smoke is normal after the very first use of brand new rotors. There's oil on the new rotors and when you apply the brakes, it "burns" off and smokes.

Did you properly bed the brakes in?

Trekk

Registered VIP
You have to clean the pins and then lube them up, other wise the caliper won't float, you'll get brake drag and maybe burn up that rotor and pads on that side.

You should always clean new rotors with brake cleaner before you mount them.

Vtec Missing

The piston inside the caliper wouldn't move? Or just the whole caliper would slide off of the mounting bracket? Two very different things. From your discription, I don't think you have a frozen caliper piston. Otherwise you wouldn't have been able to get the new pads and rotors on. Sounds like maybe some stuck slider bolts.

Smoke is normal after the very first use of brand new rotors. There's oil on the new rotors and when you apply the brakes, it "burns" off and smokes.

Did you properly bed the brakes in?
The whole caliper would not slide off the mounting bracket. yea i properly bed the brakes in. would those little clips have anything to do with this. and i just noticed my driver side caliper is leaking brake fluid so i have to replace that.

You have to clean the pins and then lube them up, other wise the caliper won't float, you'll get brake drag and maybe burn up that rotor and pads on that side.

You should always clean new rotors with brake cleaner before you mount them.
i did clean the rotors both sides.