Break lights won't go off????

gwv2749

I just spent several hours over three days detailing my 2003 EX... looks great! However, I noticed this morning after cleaning the interior the rear deck light and break tail lights were on. Headlights were not on. I now for some strange reason can't get them to turn off. To save my battery I went into the trunk and disconnected all three. Anyone know why this happened and what I need to do?

Thanks

Gary

R3dline

Respected
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
look around in your floor board for a broke piece of plastic , thats what activated the little switch that turns the tails off when you let off the pedal ,

you can fix it with a 10 mm bolt and nut, or a penny, your choice.

R3dline

Respected
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
or if you want to fix it back right, with the oem part , call your dealership and tell them you need part number 46505-SA5-000
pedal stopper pad.

R3dline

Respected
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
here is a new one, and what you should find in your floorboard

gwv2749

Break lights won't go off???

Thanks for your great response... awesome! I didn't see any parts on the floorboard under the brake pedal. Where exactly is the part you sent the photo of so I can examine it and replace if needed. I looked around under there but couldn't figure it out.

RonJ

Banned
At the top of the brake pedal, the rubber stopper must press on the brake light switch when the pedal is up. Is the stopper missing?

gwv2749

I went back out to try to find it again, and bingo! As soon as I removed the plastic pan below where the brake connects to the sensor, broken pieces just like your photo fell down. There's a little white cylindrical piece that retracts within a black nut when I push the brake pedal against it. Does the replacement pop into the break arm? If not, How do I install it?

gwv2749

Just spoke with the parts manager at my local dealer. They have the part in stock, and he told me how to install it. I can't believe how helpful this sight is... thanks so much, you guys, for making a non-mechanical guy feel comfortable with a simple fix.

Gary

Zedicous

Plastic off your break pedal has broken off, usually obvious by the blueish green plastic pieces on the floor. Now go to Homedepot and look at the hole fillers, they are little black pieces, looks like a cap but is make to cover holes. Find the size you think you need and install it, they are dirt cheap and you can get quite a few for under a dollar.

Zedicous

There is also one on your clutch, if it breaks the car will not start. Also i have used these caps for decades, i've yet to have one fail. DO NOT waste your money buying an over priced piece from a stealership..