Bubbles from exhaust manifold studs

ncegen

I am looking for oil and coolant leaks as I am losing both.
Found radiator leaking at junction of plastic and metal, no problem to replace radiator.
Oil is a different story, can't find any drips and car doesn't really smoke except occasionally when you first start it up and a few minutes afterward.
Exhaust manifold was smoking so I pulled the heat shield back and noticed small bubbles slowly coming through the threads (out from the nuts) of two of the exhaust manifold studs. I am going to assume these studs screw into the water passages in the head?
I can't see if maybe the headgasket is split behind the manifold or maybe the head is cracked?
It is a '97 D16Y8 Vtec motor 300,000 miles.
Any help or info would be appreciated.
Thanks.

5SpeedEJ6

Respected
Registered VIP
Pictures would definitely help, since we can't tell either from behind a computer whether the headgasket is split or the head is cracked. To check the head gasket it's super easy, just pop those 5 screws holding it and take it out. Remember when putting it back together that those bolts only have about 10lbs of force, overtorque them and they'll snap.

XpL0d3r

I had a Civic once.
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Check your valve stem seals

ncegen

I tried taking a pic of one of the bolts while a bubble was coming out....not very successful.
I went ahead and pulled the exhaust manifold. Didn't see any noticeable cracks or wetness along the head or block.
All my plugs were dry, doesn't seem to be any coolant in the oil either so hopefully my head gasket is ok.
I think the bubbles may have been oil trapped along the gasket and head???
I just go through a lot of oil, then I started losing coolant and it started running rough so I figured head gasket.
Coolant loss I think is just the radiator, I will definitely check and most likely replace the valve stem seals.
Hopefully that will help with the oil.
This is just a bone stock VTEC motor that has only had the distributor replaced and VTEC solenoid gaskets replaced.
Timing belt has been replaced at least once that I know of, I know I am pushing my luck and really need to replace it again.
Just trying not to spend a ton of money on a car with so many miles. Luck does not run strong in my family.
Thanks for the replies.