building D16y8 for boost parts and advice needed

ezeintn

97 coupe has d16 now. I'm looking to build another identical swap but with forged internals. Also gonna build head. I have a aftermarket (like what brand) t3-4 turbo. Wanted to try to use it. And suggestions on fuel management? Amount of boost? I pretty much need everything still (including a spare d16y8) anyone have one. And where is a decent place to get internals. Thanks

mc360

boosted hx
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
what kind of goals do you have and what is your budget? you could do something like an arias piston and manley rods or you could use vitara pistons with custom length rods. fuel management, get bigger injectors. i use fuel injector clinic but injector dynamics or hiprofile have great injectors also. your going to want a chipped ecu with either hondata/neptune/crome/ectune

ezeintn

My thoughts

here's the scoop. My dad is ASE mechanic. I'm 30 we've been building engines as long as I can remember. All v8 powerhouses, mostly Chevy. I want to show Dad that my four banger can hang. at least from stop light to stop light haha.the day 16 is my everyday driver. Wanted to build another engine that had some power. I'm open to suggestions, but was leaning towards keeping single overhead cam.I'm not really on a cheap budget but another hand I don't want to waste money building a motor that can never be what I want. I'm new to the forum and really just need advice. Should I build the D 16 or swap?

XpL0d3r

I had a Civic once.
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
It depends. What's your power goal and what's your budget? 200whp? 500whp? You'll get more power out of a DOHC, but depending on what your goal is, the D16 may be just fine.

ezeintn

hp expectations

I'd be happy with 200 to 250 HP. I'm a fan of torque and low rpm power but I think the turbo I have is for higher rpms I'll take a picture after work today and post it. It was given to me. Was kind of basing build around my turbo soI need to know if this will work or I need a new set up

XpL0d3r

I had a Civic once.
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
I had a t3/t4 and it fully spooled around 4200rpm. It was a perfect fit for me, because when I was on the highway I'd be just under boost, so if I needed a little extra oomph in 5th I never really even needed to downshift (though it's way more fun to, lol).

If you're a fan of torque, you're modding the wrong motor. A B series motor would get you a little more though. My Civic was daily driven, stock internals B18 with a t3/t4 and saw ~250whp/210tq @9psi.

ezeintn

swap has always been a pain

I've done plenty of swaps with other vehicles mostly American. They always seem to be a pain in some way. I've never swap A Honda motor.should be easier because of the size I just don't want weird engine lights. About to install a full stainless exhaust with header so that'll probably giveme the dreaded check engine light anyways. I wouldn't be totally against swapping for dual overhead camjust don't want a bunch of problems

XpL0d3r

I had a Civic once.
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Swapping from a D16 to a B18 was my first motor swap. A few minor problems at first, but no real big issues. Remember where to plugin all your sensors is the biggest thing.

Just an exhaust & header won't throw a CEL in these cars - the power gain is minimal and requires no tuning for basic bolt-ons. If you plan on going with a turbo in the near future, don't bother throwing on a header now.. save the extra $$.

ezeintn

actual reason for new exhaus

Real reason for replacing header is my stock manifold is cracked under the turndown from the head (put put put)
Drives me crazy.. i found a stainless full exhaust with header for about 250..was gonna slap it on for now and swap headers later. ..exhaust is stock now with magna flow can (off my saab turbo that was wrecked :-o)
Also comes with test pipe (stainless) for cat. Should u keep a cat on it? No state emissions inspection here ;)