built head (d16z6)

reg_lus

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
I was wondering if I get Comp Zex cams 59300 w/ Brian Crower Valve spring & retainer...
Do I really need cam gear? and what's the purpose of cam gear and what does it do?
and is it necessary for ARP studs? Oem should handle the power right? lol

Now i'm currently running on p29 pistons using my z6 block.

AlaskaB16

DOING WORK!
Registered VIP
Most aftermarket cam gears are adjustable which makes tuning that much better. Even a stock motor can see some minor gains from aftermarket cam gear when a professional tuner is involved. If you aren't doing a detailed tuning work on a dyno or from someone who knows how to do solid street tune, I don't think aftermarket gears will do any good. Someone may step in here and say other wise, but it's my understanding to get the most out of these, they must be tuned correctly.

reg_lus

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
well, i am getting a tune after i buy my cam shafts, retainers, and valve springs. but from what i recalled, when we took my in-law's car to go get a dyno tuned, they didnt even bother to touch the cam gear. btw his was a gs-r

jameswanser

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
maybe because unless you leave off your cam cover when you put together the top end, no one wants to bother taking off the valve cover to get to the cam adjustment screws (and perhaps they didn't know about the aftermarket gears)

jameswanser

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
as far as the ARP gear, should be ok, unless you're really increasing the cylinder pressure. But, if ya got the funds and taking apart anyway, might as well go stronger headbolts/studs