CA Emissions test: use racing fuel?

sargentpilcher

Hello all,

I have a 97 Honda Civic DX 5 speed manual transmission.

First thing this morning I took it to get smogged (Drove it 20 minutes freeway first) knowing I have a bad Catalytic converter, and knowing I would most likely fail, but no check engine light so I tried anyways, and failed by one metric the NOx at 15MPH (But passed at 25MPH, it had less than the 15MPH test).

I know I could pay 700$ for a new catalytic converter, but would prefferably save that 700$ if I could pass some other way, by any means neccessary (Money is super tight). Is there anything I can do? I did seafoam. Spark plugs, battery, and O2 sensors were replaced 2 years ago on my last smog (Passed to the exact allowable NOx measurement). Fuel injectors were replaced 4 years ago on the smog before that.

I read online that possibly using denatured alcohol could help by raising the octane and messing with the timing of compression which would raise my HC levels and my CO (Which measured fine) but lower my NOx. I also read that the alcohol can damage rubber components in my car so it scared me a bit, but I also read about high octane racing fuel getting the same result, so I was wondering if it is possible to use racing fuel in my little Honda? If so how much should I use? Should I mix it with regular gasoline? what ratio?

Any help is greatly appreciated

TLDR: Car failed smog with High NOx readings, and I'm wondering if I can reduce that with racing fuel for the smog test.

HeX

Authoritah, respected.
Staff member
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Do it right and change the catalytic. Aftermarket simple cats should cost no more than $70 which you can install yourself. A muffler shop shouldnt charge more than $160 or so to do it. Only ordering a cat from Honda would cost $700.

Do not use racing fuel on a stock engine. Your car will run like crap from being unable to properly burn all the fuel, which can lead to deposits clogging up your system. That, or the alcohol additive, are not worth risking damage to your engine in any way.

sargentpilcher

Ok, thank you for your advice. I think I'll take it. But, in California, I bought one of those aftermarket cats, and it performed worse than my 20 year old stock one (replaced it myself) , so I'm pretty sure I have to get the 700$ one from Honda.

Teri

Respected
Ok, thank you for your advice. I think I'll take it. But, in California, I bought one of those aftermarket cats, and it performed worse than my 20 year old stock one (replaced it myself) , so I'm pretty sure I have to get the 700$ one from Honda.
Go to CARID.COM they have catalytic converters for your car and they are very reasonable in price.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

daperez13

Respected
Any reputable muffler shop should be able to look up the proper catalytic converter for your vehicle for under $200.00 + labor (around $60.00), based on a recent purchase; and that's a little on the high side.

HeX

Authoritah, respected.
Staff member
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Describe how the cat you installed performed worse because the only way thats possible is if you didnt tighten properly and it leaked or you installed the wrong cat. Did you buy the California-specific catalytic?

There is absolutely no need to buy one from Honda. Listen to those who know about this because its obvious that this isnt your knowledge base.

mc360

boosted hx
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Use a bottle of 90% alcohol from a store (run your tank down close to empty and add the bottle of alcohol then drive around a bit). Ca/NY compliant cats are not cheap but a universal weld in is about 160$, I see that you have a dx though so you have to replace the whole manifold which will run about 350 from magnaflow which is a good aftermarket brand.

Buying cats sucks, I just bought my third one in less than a year ( 3 different vehicles I'm trying to sell) but I have only spent about 800$ combined for all 3 ca compliant cats for two Hondas and one integra