Calling all Clubcivic members!!!!HELP Please!!!94 Civic ex

Sonik

Ej1
Hello,Im having problems with my 94 civic Ex 5speed:(
first of..I DID search the threads but I didnt find any answers to my problems.....

the problem:low rpm idle and everytime I shift...when my RPM's hit 1 1/2 my car starts to stall and stumbles on acceleration....but when it reaches the 2 RMP mark...it drives normal.......whats going on?

I have done the following but still no answer to my problem.
1-Replaced my spark plugs
2-Checked my spark plugs wires
3-Cleaned my IAC valve
4-Checked for vacuum leaks in all of the engine bay---->no leaks.
5-Replaced my fuel filter

I also would like to know how can I set my idle speed correctly?
what do I do now?:cry:
HELP!!!Please.

Last edited:

CHILD

All Day, All JDM
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
ever take the time to adjust your idle screw on the throttle body?

Sonik

Ej1
yes,I have tried to adjust the idle screw...just a bit...not too much....but it doesnt solve anything all it does it makes my rpms higher...but then my idle goes back down and then my driving problem still exists.......where should my rpm sit when my car is warmed up?and is there a specific spec for the idle screw to be at?

CHILD

All Day, All JDM
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
when warm it should be around 800-1000. When you adjust with the idle screw be sure to disconnect the IACV. Also be sure to let the ecu relearn the idle. The car needs to be driven with the idle adjustments made for a few minutes and then let it sit and idle.

Sonik

Ej1
ok I have done more research and it looks like Ill be needing a tachometer..ill sure try this in the morning for sure......Do you think this will stop my idle problem?What would be the next step if this doesnt work?

CLX(99)

Air in the cooling system can also cause fluctuating idles. Just throwing it out there just in case you recently did something that could have introduced air in the system.

Sonik

Ej1
child---->I have dont this and seems to be ok....but now im having problems when i shift into a gear....my engine stall for about 2 sec like it seems to want to turn off.....what could this be?....and its backfiring also... :(

Sonik

Ej1
So how do I get the air out of the cooling system?....I havent touch anything in the cooling system though.........

XpL0d3r

I had a Civic once.
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
o2 sensor(s), i had an issue on my old d series where the car would bog down under low rpms.. it got so bad that i could floor it, and you could WALK by me... until it got to 3k rpms or so, then it would run like a champ.

Sonik

Ej1
o2 sensor(s), i had an issue on my old d series where the car would bog down under low rpms.. it got so bad that i could floor it, and you could WALK by me... until it got to 3k rpms or so, then it would run like a champ.

thanks Xplod3r.....ima check my o2 sensor(s).......hopefully this is the problem...everything else seems just fine????anything else that may cause this problem?

Sonik

Ej1
nope...I dont have a cel......i ihave time today to take a look at my ej1....but first thing tomarrow it will be on!!!

obracer12

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
I would check:
1)O2 sensor
2)timing (who knows, your dizzy could be a little loose)
3) bleed the coolant system (just run with the bleed valve open, it's near the thermostat housing until nothing but fluid comes out)
4) replace the IACV (a seal could be broken inside and it is running rough)
5) fuel pressure

Sonik

Ej1
I would check:
1)O2 sensor
2)timing (who knows, your dizzy could be a little loose)
3) bleed the coolant system (just run with the bleed valve open, it's near the thermostat housing until nothing but fluid comes out)
4) replace the IACV (a seal could be broken inside and it is running rough)
5) fuel pressure

1)Im going to check my o2 sensor
2)timing is ok..the car start right up with no problems..however I will check so its not loose...
3) Im going to bleed the coolant system....bleed the coolant system
4)I've checked my IACV an it seems just fine...(cleaned and inspected)
5)I doubt it would be fuel....but will check.....

thanks

Sonik

Ej1
Ok....well..
I did check my o2 sensors and theyre ok.......
I did drain the coolant
My dizzy was a bit loose.....................I tighten it up....
Now....
It seems to run a lot better I cleaned all my sensor and plugs......but now it started backfiring...
What do I do now?
HELP!!!

Sonik

Ej1
Ok guys...I just found out my timing is out of place.....about 1 1/2 inch off the white mark...so yeah ima go check that out....hopefully this will stop my problems.......