Cam and crankshaft question

Aaron Stilley

I'm rebuilding the motor in my SOHC 98 hx. My question is, if I swap cam and crankshafts with a different model/year of civic, is there any benefits from doing so? If so, what is interchangeable in that motor? Keep the smart ass comments to a minimum, and no I'm not swapping the whole motor.

Diana Nam

Respected
Registered VIP
I'm rebuilding the motor in my SOHC 98 hx. My question is, if I swap cam and crankshafts with a different model/year of civic, is there any benefits from doing so? If so, what is interchangeable in that motor? Keep the smart ass comments to a minimum, and no I'm not swapping the whole motor.
that really depends on what your trying to do and for what parts are interchangeable.... thats a somewhat of decent size list but for d series vtec camshaft don't really have that much differences from other yr/model of d series motor. also non vtec cams will not work with vtec head non vtec cam only has 2 lobes per sides while vtec cam has 3 lobes the middle lobe is the vtec lobe, crankshaft maybe if your original is bad you can swap to another d series crank but i can pretty much say most d series crankshaft have the same stroke as the other ones so it wouldn't really do much now i can tell you did tho for F/H series motor you have different cranks you can use some have more stroke then others.

Aaron Stilley

The hx vtech is different from like an ex. The hx is a vtech-e, it messes with the intake valves, not the camshaft like a regular vtech. That's why I don't know what is interchangeable with an hx, and if swapping it will help any

Diana Nam

Respected
Registered VIP
The hx vtech is different from like an ex. The hx is a vtech-e, it messes with the intake valves, not the camshaft like a regular vtech. That's why I don't know what is interchangeable with an hx, and if swapping it will help any
vtec and vtec-e is not much different the "e" is more for economy meaning the motor was designed to be more emission friendly also(less perfomance orientated). all vtec works with intake valve lol. it opens the intake valves more and longer at higher rpm. don't let my pretty looks fool you, i'm not your average pretty pretty girl i've been in the honda game for long time now and had built many unqiue build/swaps that most 98% of the poeple never do.

Aaron Stilley

Well the car has 240,000 miles on it and the clutch finally went out. So far I've put bigger injectors, ported and polished the intake, and put a long tube header on it. It's runs good but I was just looking for simple ways to give it more go, without doing major work

Diana Nam

Respected
Registered VIP
Well the car has 240,000 miles on it and the clutch finally went out. So far I've put bigger injectors, ported and polished the intake, and put a long tube header on it. It's runs good but I was just looking for simple ways to give it more go, without doing major work
that pretty good setup right there. you can port and polish the head if you wanted to, help you sqeeze abit more power before you have to start looking into after market stuff and start doing major work to the motor