Cammy Goodness

mikeyisfresh

so, I've just received my new Yonaka catback, and tomorrow, I'll be receiving my Exedy stage 1 clutch and a Blackworks gunmetal shiftknob (that I ordered from TunerSports.com) to compliment my blue short shifter... My EM1 is slowly taking form into a mean machine.

my next project for the car: upgraded valvetrain.
I do know that I FOR SURE want either some Type-R camshafts or a set of Skunk2 Pro-Series camshafts, my my understanding, the Type-R and Skunk2 camshafts are functionally the same... is this true?

now with that being said, I'd like to pique your brain. have any of you guys had any experience with Skunk2 valves, valve springs, retainers, etc...? I was checking out some valvetrain on the CC store and noticed a brand I'd never seen; Brian Crower. seems be to good quality stuff, at a smaller price than Skunk2.

what do you recommend as far as reliable valvetrain? everyone I've asked thus far has swore by Skunk2 EVERYTHING.

aaaaaaaaannnnnnnnnnd......... DISCUSS.

edit:
Skunk2 offers either standard compression or high compression... my engine is a B16A2 header/tranny with a B20B block. what to do?

KillaGuizEj8Si

Registered VIP
Sooo u obviously have a b20v? Any aftermarket cam changes should be accompanied by springs and retainers

speedygonzales

Royal Member ~ RonJ
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
all he did was state the obvious... anyways, brian crower is probably one of the best all around brands as far as valvetrain upgrades goes. I see them a lot on bigger v8 cars and trucks and hear people praising them all the time. so you prolly cant go wrong with them. but they aren't a dedicated import tuner so skunk 2 might have just a slight advantage over them just because they'll have done more research and s***. but thats not to say the brian crower will not be a high quality part and one that you will be satisfied with.

as far a high compression vs. standard compression goes are you planning on turboing anytime? or is it going to stay all motor? cause if its staying all motor then go for the high compression ones, they'll help you squeeze a lil more power from the engine

mikeyisfresh

definitely staying all-motor. but yeah, thanks for the info, speedy. high-compression it is.

i'm still not sure on what to do about camshafts, though. I'm gonna search around for some Type-R cams and see about how much they cost. looks like its gonna run about $1400 for the Skunk2 shafts, valves, retainers, and springs. a little steep, but worth it if I'm gonna gain some power.